(1) DISCUSSION GROUP NAME (and any acronym or abbreviation of the name): The DG name, acronym and abbreviation must not include trademarks not owned by the Organization, or content that is infringing, harmful, or inappropriate.
(2) DISCUSSION TOPIC/PURPOSE/MOTIVATION: Please provide a clear statement of the topic, purpose, and/or motivation for requesting the formation of this DG.
The ID Legal – Map the Gap Discussion Group (MtG DG) is a collaboration between the ID Commons (IDC) (1) Identity and Legal Communities Cross Pollination Group (ID Legal) (2) and Participants within various Kantara Initiative Working Groups. The focus of the MtG DG is on a “Mapping the Gap” event that was initially proposed within the ID Legal discussions (3).
The ID Legal project identified a need for an event that would bring Identity technology experts together with their professional counterparts in the legal and policy fields. The event would help build a community that can pursue an integrated approach to address the challenges as identity technologies evolve in tandem with policy, regulation, and case law.
The event is designed to “Map the Gap” among the legal, policy, and technical communities innovating digital identity systems. To do so, it will be important to attract global representation to include international perspectives when working toward solutions that scale across borders. In order to ensure a comprehensive global understanding of the issues, it is possible that additional events held within other jurisdictions will be necessary to attract widely representative participation.
Issues to be addressed include, but are not limited to:
The “Map the Gap” event presupposes that technologists, lawyers, and policy makers need to work together to build a more comprehensive picture of 'identity' in which average people can successfully live and work. To work toward this vision, the event will create a space for collaboration in order to explore the answers to questions such as:
Among the goals of this event are to:
The goals of the MtG DG are to:
(3) LEADERSHIP: Proposed DG Chair subject to confirmation by a vote of the DG Participants.
(4) AUDIENCE: Anticipated Participants in this DG.
(5) COPYRIGHT POLICY: The Organization approved Intellectual Property Rights Policy to cover any copyright material that may be produced as a result of DG 'Participants' posts to the wiki or email archives.
Kantara Initiative IPR Policy – Option Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
(6) PROPOSERS: Names, email addresses, and any constituent affiliations of at least the minimum set of proposers required to support forming the DG. At least 3 Participants are required to request formation of a DG.