Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Kantara Initiative Identity Assurance WG Teleconference

Table of Contents



DRAFT Meeting Minutes - IAWG approval required

Date and Time


  1. Administration:
    1. Roll Call
    2. Agenda Confirmation
    3. Minutes Approval: 
    4. Action Item Review
    5. Organization Updates - Director's Corner
    6. Staff reports and updates
    7. LC reports and updates
    8. Call for Tweet-worthy items to feed (@KantaraNews or #kantara)
  2. Discussion
    1. Leadership Elections 
    2. Discuss NIST SP 800-63B for 800-63-3 IAWG Comments


Link to IAWG Roster

As of 2017-01-12, quorum is 4 of 7



Meeting (did / did not) achieve quorum


  • Ken Dagg (C)
  • Scott Shorter (S) 
  • Andrew Hughes (VC)
  • Richard Wilsher
  • Adam Madlin


  • Marc Aronson
  • Ken Crowl
  • Denny Prvu 


  • Colin Wallis (ED)
  • Ruth Puente


  • None


titleVoting Members for Cut/Paste
  • Ken Dagg (C)
  • Andrew Hughes (VC)
  • Scott Shorter (S)
  • Paul Caskey
  • Adam Madlin
  • Richard Wilsher
  • Lee Aber
titleSelected Non-Voting members for Cut/Paste
  • Bill Braithwaite
  • Björn Sjöholm
  • Susan Schreiner
  • Jeff Stollman


Notes & Minutes


Minutes Approval

Motion to approve minutes of 2017-03-02: 
Motion Carried | Carried with amendments | Defeated

Action Item Review


Staff Updates

  • Colin reports on the Digital Signatures workshop with FICAM / SAFE-BioPharma / ETSI, about digital signature interoperability.
  • Discussions about the future / difficulty the GSA is encountering in maintaining the federal PKI bridge, the need for directing for more abstract framework. Expectation that the PKI side and the TFS will put profiles of the framework against broader FICAM framework.  Differences between the Kantara Initiative Trust Status List versus a PKI approach to that.
  • Richard reports that there are issues of alignment between federal government and the EU, but not sure what the issues become. The issues are somewhat secondhand - Lachelle mentioned NIST wanting to align with international standards, but RGW observes that NIST is very insular and does not really conform with international standards
  • Colin mentioned one thing coming out of the workshop, the analysis of differences between ETSI and US digital signature requirements, the main thing holding back a trusted federation was issues of lack of policy and regulation on the US side.  There was discussion and interest in 800-63-3 and how to comply with the identity proofing requirements, and potential practical solutions. Some concerns with the timeframe for getting this onboard - the standard 12 months that NIST offers is probably not going to be achieved by any of those parties.
LC Updates
Participant updates


Leadership Elections

Ken Dagg has been nominated for chair, Scott Shorter has been nominated for vice chair, Denny Prvu has been nominated for Secretary.  Richard Wilsher moves and Ken Crowl seconds.  Without objection the election is carried.\


Ken is waiting to hear back from Angela Rey on comments on the charter.


Comments from RGW:

  1. Numerous references to "digital service" without being clear what they mean.  
  2. Refer extensively to the "subscriber" whereas other schemes include "subscriber" and a "subject". The "subscriber" may be the organization who wants credentials issued to a number of subjects.  Would make easier alignment with other sources.
  3. The documents are called "guidance" but it contains requirements.  Are the contents mandatory or not?


Ken notes that there are currently no normative usability requirements.





Next Meeting - topic will be 800-63C and the new charter

  • Date: Thursday, 2017-03-16
  • Time: 12:00 PT | 15:00 ET
  • Time: 12:00 PDT | 15:00 EDT
  • United States Toll +1 (805) 309-2350
  • Alternate Toll +1 (714) 551-9842
    Skype: +99051000000481
    • Conference ID: 613-2898
  • International Dial-In Numbers