Consent & Information Sharing Work Group (CISWG)
This Work Group operates under the Kantara IPR Policy - Option Patent & Copyright: Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to Reasonable And Non discriminatory (RAND)
Join | Subscribe | Archive (Mailman) | Archive (Google) | Charter | Participant Roster 2016 | Minutes | Kantara Initiative Bylaws
(Mail archives prior to Oct 6, 2009)
This working group has been evolving since 2009, starting out as the Information Sharing WG focused on catalysing a rich flow of consent based personal information - from a CRM perspective - actual demand data (as opposed to predicted demand) can be engineered with better personal data control then could be found in any traditional CRM products and departments. The first work stream was led by Joe Andrieu and Iain Henderson, which produced the Information Sharing Label Notice for people.
In 2012, Open Notice Initiative, (now the Kantara Liaison Partner Open Consent Group), presented a paper Opening up the Online Notice Infrastructure An ‘Open Notice’ Call For Collaboration, at the W3C Do Not Track & Beyond Conference.
The result of this effort was the proposal to Kantara, ISWG to focus on a consent work stream, which resulted in this WG name change to the Consent & Information Sharing WG (CISWG). This work stream has focused on making an identity management usable consent record called the "Consent Receipt", driven largely by major contributions from Mary Hodder, John Wunderlich, Iain Henderson and Mark Lizar who brought the spec to a v.1, with a special thanks to David Turner and extra special effort of Andrew Hughes to bring together the release of V1.1, which is a the more mature specification based on multiple implementations and pubic review cycles. This specification is now growing adoption in the EU and US healthcare, consent management, policy frameworks, smart contracts.
Special mention to UMAWG and Eve Maler for providing the shining example for how to develop a specification by consensus and Justin Richer for building the first consent receipt generator
This Workgroup is open for interested participants, the work product that is produced is under a Royalty Free (openly usable) RAND license. The work produced is provided for review by industry, public sector, regulators, other standards organisations like the ISO of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27/WG 5, and community partners; like Project VRM, who have supported the long term development of tools for individual autonomy over personal information.
Project VRM community also drive a work stream in CISWG for User Submitted Terms, which is focused on a common set of icons that customers can use to signal their intent.
The WG members often meet at conferences and workshops in the US and EU, which happen annually for those who want to meet in person.
- May & Oct - IIW Internet Identity Workshop - Mountain View, California
- May EIC European Identity Conference - Berlin Germany
- June - Identiverse (Boston 2018)
- August 29-31 MyData Helsinki
Publications & Submissions
- Submissions in progress.. CIWG Submission to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27/WG 5. via Kantara BOT-Liaison March 2018 (restricted access BOT-Liasion WG members only)
- Submission to A W3C Workshop on Privacy and Linked Data17–18 April 2018,
- Submission Comments on Draft Guidance on Consent Information Commissioners Office in the United Kingdom,
- Submission to the Office of Privacy Commissioner of Canada seeks comment on Consent
- Hodder, M,. Lizar, M,."Tracking and Managing Use of Personal Data With a Consent Transaction Receipt". Authors Retain Copyright, ACM Retain exclusive license to publish, https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2641681&dl=ACM&coll=DLNote: members must log in to access copy linked in title
- Hodder, M. Lizar, M "Usable Consent", CMU Notice and Choice Submission 2014,
All WG Projects:
This blog post on the Personal Data Eco-system is useful background and context for this working group.
Download the Consent Receipt Overview