Nov 30, 2015
- We discussed projects that are quickly trying to implement a non-contractual set of terms where we might help.
- Duration may not be on the table for initial round at those projects
- #safeads may be signal that an ad is not based on tracking to separate things based upon tracking
- Law and privacy
- EU changes in Data Protection expected in next month
- FIPs based practices – may not scale in modern world but are dominant paradigm
- where are you now?
- where do you want to be?
- what are ways to get there?
- what do we do now?
- Privacy Act 1974 originally just covered govt data collection (taxes and census - slow) but now it's lots of data and very fast
- Bridge FIPs and Privacy Act.. knit together with contracts
- Arbitrage needs to support the user
- Don't want to constrain ourselves to FIPs duties
- Some history on FIPs: http://bobgellman.com/rg-docs/rg-FIPShistory.pdf by Bob Gellman
- How do people provide their own notice?
- Can we portray this as more than privacy? Duties can help where terms give a complementary set of rights for personal data control.
- Contracts become epoxy
- ME-vertising - intentcasting
- for advertisers where we do wish to be known, we still need terms for that
- advertising is tracking verses not-tracking based
- brand? verses tracking ads
- Need intermediary to control the exchange of data, the way banks do this for exchange of money
- @Mary to send out calendar invite for meeting Tuesday Dec 1 at 3pm PT, 6pm ET, 11pm GMT for working session on terms language