[WG-UMA] for those who need the link -

James Hazard james.g.hazard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:44:53 CDT 2015

Just now reviewing the discussion at
https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-uma/wiki/UMA-Legal:-Use-Cases,-Roles-and-Obligations.
It repeatedly surprised me with it's broad and persuasive analytical
position of the issues.

Two thoughts:

1.  We could work on a taxonomy of legal issues and provisions.  The
taxonomy could include ideas such as signature, authorization,
revocation, ownership, disputes, etc.  We already have a lot to work
with from the discussion, and can also work backwards from precedent
documents.  A small way to start would be an outline for ToU or system
rules.  We could focus on US health records, while keeping an eye on
expanding it to non-US, non-health, non-English, etc. Statutory and
other "primary" materials could be linked to.  We could also link to
lists of model and precedent documents. (Something similar was done by
some UMKC students in connection with municipal data sharing agreements,
sponteneously or at Dazza's suggestion.)

2.  It might be simplifying and empowering to generalize the notion of
"events" - to treat all events that might need to be legally proved as
being effectuated by records in a common format.  For swimlanes, each
step (lap in the pool?) should generate a text record that renders into
a document and is shared among the directly concerned parties.  The
record would render a document/webpage such as ToU or the NYPH patient
consent, or as little as a mere selection or "yes" in the context of a
form.  The format of the records would be such that they can be added to
a log.  Each party would have (or have the right to) a log of the
interaction.

Somewhere early in the interaction (in a ToU or the like, perhaps
system-wide or jurisdiction-wide) there could be a stipulation of formal
requirements.  E.g., for an event to be legally cognizable it must: 1)
be in the form of a record "signed" by the party to be charged,  2) each
party must "have" a copy ("have" can mean immediately possession or have
permanent access to), 3) legal provisions that are knowingly derived
from publicly-available provisions must link to the original and be able
to show the diff. (In the old days, each party received an original of
signed agreements!)

The escrow demo and some of the work Adrian and I did show the notion of
laps in swim lanes -
(http://www.commonaccord.org/index.php?action=list&file=doc/escrow/).
This can be extended to even small interactions such as radio buttons or
yes/no dialog boxes.

I have not worked much on logs.  In blockchain implementations, the
records and logs are (from the perspective of CommonAccord) an
application-side implementation issue.  The log is necessarily shared on
the blockchain and the challenge is to avoid over-circulation of the
information (e.g., using sidechains).  In non-blockchain, a log could be
kept by having each record added to a log as a single JSON-formatted
line of text, with some metadata such as a GUID, time and author.  The
JSON aspect ties in with a discussion on a GitHub issue that I did with
Dazza on design of a more modular and generalizable implementation of
CommonAccord rendering.

Expecting to be better connected starting on September 2.

@commonaccord