[WG-UMA] Enterprise questions about UMA

Kevin Cox kevin.cox at edentiti.com
Fri Jun 1 13:52:38 EDT 2012

If we pass responsibility of personal data to a third party UMA does not
scale because the number of legal agreements is of order N squared where N
is the number of entities holding personal data.  I am very familiar with
the Identity Provider problem where we  verify the identity of a person by
accessing personal data held on government and non government databases.

What the Australian government has found is that if they allow a third
party to act on behalf of an individual then the law has to be changed.
 The changes have to be similar to the laws required to allow third parties
to supply credit ratings.

If however the individual is their own Identity Provider then there few, if
any, changes to laws. In practice the underlying systems may look similar,
and even be the same, but underneath the supplier of the Identity Provider
software never acts on behalf of a legal entity.

Obtaining personal data for verification is an example of access to
personal data and the systems will not scale unless the legally responsible
party manages the data and access. The reason is that there will have to be
laws established for all the different types of data and what a third party
may or may not do with the data.  The government is trying to set up a
national electronic health system and allowing third parties to act on
behalf of people. They have spent years trying to define the system and
frame and create laws to make it happen for health data.  They will get
something going but it is not a scalable process and is going to be a very
inefficient cumbersome system.

What I am trying to say is that software systems need to be constructed so
that the legally responsible entities manage access to data and never pass
responsibility to a third party.

In other words the Authorisation Manager can be third party software but it
should never take on legal responsibility.  This puts constraints on how
User Managed Access operates - but the constraints make the systems
simpler.  If we put the constraint on the system so that all data about a
legal entity must pass through the legal entity then the legal entity can
always take responsibility.

What does this mean in practice.  It means that if we want to pass data
about a person from organisation A to organisation B then the data is
passed from organisation A to the person then passed to organisation B.  If
we construct our systems so that this occurs then the legal issues "go
away" because there is an agreement between A and the person and a separate
agreement between B and the person and there does not have to be an
agreement between A and B.

This approach is scalable because the number of agreements necessary if we
allow A to pass a persons data directly to B is of order N squared where N
is the number of entities.  If data is always passed via the person then
the number of agreements is of order N and that agreement is established
when the data is first stored.

We make this happen in the case of verification of identity by making each
legal entity their own identity provider and hence the data always passes
by them.  I believe the same holds for all other cases of movement of
entity data and that is how we plan to implement user managed access for
such systems as "Proof of Income",  "Proof of Credentials", "Positive
Credit ratings", and "EHealth".

An interesting point is that the model also works for non-legal entities
such as motor cars.  The data about a car always passes via the car and
hence via the legal entity that owns the car at the time.

What it also means is that if an organisation has a credential to identify
a person then that credential never has to be used by any other
organisation.  This really protects privacy.

It also means that we do not have define standards for the meaning of data
but can let standards arise naturally and through the use of the system.

Kevin