[WG-UMA] Question about Requested Scope -- RE: Review UMA core spec rev8 until pargr. 2

George Fletcher gffletch at aol.com
Fri May 27 15:48:04 EDT 2011

Comments inline...

On 5/27/11 1:45 PM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:
> [...]
As I remember, the perspective has been that the host is the only one
who can truly be authoritative about the scopes for any given resource.
The thinking being that scopes are specific to a particular service and
hence not generic or manageable by the AM. So the host registers the
allowed scopes for a given resource set with the AM and then the user
can chose among the specified set of scopes. That way, whatever the user
chooses is guaranteed to be viable.

I'm probably missing something, but it seems like if the user and AM are
choosing the scopes, it's very possible a host will get a scope that it
doesn't understand. I'm not sure how that can be resolved at runtime.

As for the AM generating tokens based on scope, that's possible but it
requires the requesting service to manage multiple tokens per
user:am:host tuple. I believe the goal is to reduce this to one token
per tuple if possible.

There has been some discussion and agreement that if UMA moves from AM
generated opaque tokens (which require the host<->AM validation step) to
JWTs that are processable by the Host, then tokens will need to contain
scopes and hence the requester will have to mange tokens on a per
protected resource URL instead of just per Host. I still believe it's
best for the Host to manage the scopes because they are "unique" in some
respects to the service provided by the host (e.g. a music service will
not likely have a "print" scope while a photo service likely will).

Thanks,
George
> Thanks.
>
> /thomas/

Chief Architect                   AIM:  gffletch
Identity Services Engineering     Work: george.fletcher at teamaol.com
AOL Inc.                          Home: gffletch at aol.com
Mobile: +1-703-462-3494           Blog: http://practicalid.blogspot.com
Office: +1-703-265-2544           Twitter: http://twitter.com/gffletch