[WG-UMA] How we would handle the Soccer Club sharing issue

Kirk Brown kirk at talkwheel.com
Thu Mar 24 18:15:12 EDT 2011

Sounds interesting.

An ID Provider would really iron out the back channel hacks we had to do.
And even stronger
"nonrepudiation" attempts for collaboration requiring stronger Identity such
as an another security step your
product supplies with CreditCheckID. Of value to Enterprise / eGov scenarios
similar to this one.

Here is a little more challenge on the use case. Actually next week I can
demo it for
you if we want to use my GoToMeeting to share my screen, but:

Youth Soccer League President informs his team managers/coaches about a new
Social Web Service
he can use to organize and communicate with his players and parents called
"ZeroPC". Where they
will find a shared desktop of tools, like a master calendar, document
templates, news and a collab
application called Talkwheel to keep parents and players informed.

( These SaaS services ARE transient. For an hour, a few weeks, a few months.
We build them
     and then tear down and flush the users. Especially when their
subscription expires maybe  )

For social network users, memorizing and managing a password is a hassle. So
it is not
required as they hop around multiple SaaS services like a frog hopping lilly
pads. From
one to the next.

A coach registers with ZeroPC and is given a UID (his email) and a password.
On the desktop
he creates a Group using only the players and parents Name and email
address. Clicks send.

This is what they see in their email:

Message from coachBrown at zerodesktop.com

To access the shared transferable desktop click here:

http://startforce.com:198/?group=852d6bbb36f24a10b1e12c0c802c221a_coachBrown

(sorry not valid URL :D - their product launch is Monday with us. )

They click on the link and magically the shared webtop "desktop" loads in an
opened browser
window.  zeroPC service is running on EC2 cloud.

The team can view common tools and calendars. And maybe some are not
authorized.
And there is a desktop icon with a big text bubble. They click to open the
Talkwheel app.

On the back plane zeroPC had to send Talkwheel the group Name and the list
of 25 names and
emails through an API that provisioned the users, there one last step before
we grant them access.

( this step could be more efficient and proper )

The first player launches Talkwheel and hits a landing page Welcoming the
user and offers a
video of how to use the app, OR suggests all they have to do is type their
email and "Join"

This they do and we launch the app embedded inside the shared desktop.
Everyone is happy.

If the user is "authorized" by the back channel API calls. Then this landing
page is really a
proxy that ensures the connection is from a known domain with a valid
private Group URI ;
takes the asserted email address and compares it to the entry on file before
enabling a fully
"authenticated" user.

Easy. Lightweight. Scales ....but could be stronger.