[WG-UMA] Definition of "Trust" (borrowing from TCG)

Mark Lizar mark at smartspecies.com
Thu Mar 3 14:57:11 EST 2011

Rainer,

I just skimmed this doc and found it faintly useful for this
discussion of Trust.  I highly recommend getting Piotr Cota's book as
it is very technically detailed and is useful for developing a trust
framework meta-model as it technically discusses all of the elements
and their relationships for what we are proposing with a trust
framework.

Trust has 17 different basic definitions.  I think for the most part
we use trust in relation to the definition where expectations exist
between the AU and the AM.  In this context I would suggest that the
term confidence, or reliance is used instead of trust.

as for Trust Relationships referred to here in UMA   is this referring
to a technical trust between technical actors?

With my sociologist hat on, I am of the opinion that the intent of a
trust framework for identity is so that it can be trustworthy for the
management of identity in society.   IF this is true than we should
avoid mixing the technical trust, with the social trust as this may
lead to creating a significant challenge to any effort to create a
meta model of trust frameworks.

When possible I suggest using the term control or confidence instead
of trust  in the technical context we are applying it to here.   E.g.
a confidence framework can be developed so that it is trustworthy..

I found this table of contents and foreward summary of Piotr's book.
(attached)

Best Regards,

Mark