[WG-UMA] Definition of "Trust" (borrowing from TCG)

Mark Lizar mark at smartspecies.com
Thu Mar 3 12:49:57 EST 2011

+1

I would even go a bit further and say trusted is usable for technical
trust and trustworthiness usable for social trust.

This reminds me of a passage from the book "Trust, Complexity and
Control: Confidence in a Convergent World" written by Piotr Cofta.  (a
global trust expert)

" There are two trusts (i.e. Trust and control)

What is called trust here can be related to the intrinsic properties
of a person while 'control' roughly relates to contextual properties.
What we call here as control can be also know as control trust,
reliance trust, assurance based trust, calculus trust, guarded trust,
deterrence-based trust or cognitive trust.  In contrast, 'trust' is
known as party trust, affective trust, identification-based trust,
relational trust or extended trust.

This proliferation of terminologies has been one of the drivers to
introduce the construct of confidence in the place traditionally taken
by trust and to restrict trust to what is related to the intentions of
a person.   The construct control (expressed directly in those terms,
no longer hidden in different flavours of 'two trust;) has also been
widely studied.

blah, blah....

Trust and control both contribute to the confidence (the substitutive
approach), but while control is reducible to trust, trust cannot be
reduced to control, due to the instrumentalisation of control.   "

I hope this sheds a bit of light on the fact that these issues have
been extensively studied.   For those interested in this I recommend
the book.

Best Regards,

- Mark