[WG-UMA] Terminology mapping UMA - OAuth2

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Fri Jul 8 13:25:07 EDT 2011

The UMA spec goes into some detail about the ways the terms align. There are subtleties. Take a look at these links:

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA+1.0+Core+Protocol
	Section 1 Introduction, particularly 1.2 Terminology
	Section 3 Getting Authorization and Accessing a Resource intro, particularly the last list, which has an OAuth comparison
Can't you achieve UMA goals just by using OAuth?
Is UMA up to date with OAuth development?

Perhaps we should add a FAQ about "Why doesn't UMA use OAuth terminology?" There is indeed some history here, and we have at various times examined the pros and cons of aligning, but always decide to stick with our own terms because of the subtleties involved.

Do feel free to ask further questions if you need to! I can try to dig up the specific meeting minutes where we've discussed this in the past.

	Eve