[WG-UMA] Draft minutes of UMA telecon 2010-07-22

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Fri Jul 23 14:40:47 EDT 2010

Hi!

Am 23.07.10 18:51, schrieb Holodnik, Tom:

> I had a minor note about the minutes that Eve prepared (to clarify a
> question I raised).
>
> Tom asks whether a native app on, say, a phone, representing a unique
> instance of an application should get different credentials from the
> same kind of native app running on a different phone. George suspects
> that the best way to go is to give each instance different
> credentials.

So why is that necessary? It is in fact the same app but different
instances and it's just the first step before authorizing the user in
which case the individual app instance is then authorized.

And as in OAuth today there is also no requirement (and it's not
possible anyway) to register each device.

my .02€

-- Christian

> What I was after was whether the same software running on different
> machines, running on behalf of the same user (or the same group of
> people, like a business) should get the same client ID and secret or
> whether it needed to be unique.  George (rightly, in my opinion) said
> that it must be unique.
>
> The impact of this is that if Alice grants permissions to Bob to
> access her resources using Application A, that access is extended to
> Bob, running an instance of Application A on one of his machines (any
> or all of which is running Application A). This seems like something
> that would have some usability or operational impact that we might
> want to be explicit about.
>
> Lacking this, it seems there would be significant risks from brute
> forcing and spoofing.
>
> My intention was to expand on what we mean about uniquely identifying
> an application.
>
> Thanks, -tom
>

> Tom Holodnik  -  Security Architect – Intuit Inc.  -   Office:
> 650-944-5494  -  Mobile: 650-387-6574

Christian Scholz                          Homepage: http://comlounge.net
COM.lounge GmbH                                    http://mrtopf.de/blog
Hanbrucher Str. 33                             http://twitter.com/mrtopf
52064 Aachen                                             Skype: HerrTopf
Tel: +49 241 400 730 0                                  cs at comlounge.net
Fax: +49 241 979 00 850                                      IRC: MrTopf

Podcasts:
Der OpenWeb-Podcast (http://openwebpodcast.de)
Data Without Borders (http://datawithoutborders.net)
Politisches: http://politfunk.de/