[WG-UMA] E-commerce scenario feedback

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Thu Jan 28 10:11:44 EST 2010

Finally...  I did a bit more editing of this, as follows:

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/ecommerce_scenario

- I took "Account/Profile" out of the title.

- I added the following language to the "Checkout" step in the problem scenario: "She might be given the opportunity to provide some third-party store loyalty program information, to get "extra points" from transactions here."

Hope this looks good to everyone.  Thanks, Joe, for your continuing comments!

	Eve

On 14 Jan 2010, at 3:57 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> I think the overall discussion is fine. An extra paragraph describing for non-profile resources would add something, but the current language isn't overly limiting.
>
> My main concern was that the title was limiting. In the rest of the document, you simply say "resource", so that's fine.
>
> In light of the affiliation-based attributes already being facilitated--indirectly--by Azigo's r-cards, I think it's an important use case. Perhaps more importantly, my bundle of "loyalty cards" is precisely what I want to have streamlined when accessing a vendor site.  If I can get discounts because I'm AARP, AAA, a KCRW member, and a Blue Shield insuree, then I want those affiliations to be an easy, streamlined part of the check out, pricing, and/or customization stages. What I don't want to have to do is login to the AM separately--or even use my card selector separately--for every affiliation I want considered by the vendor/requester. I want one provisioning ceremony where I can pick & choose all the attributes/affiliations/claims that I am authorizing for that service.  Again, this is about a claims/attribute mashup rather than the clumsy multiple-card selection ceremonies required today.
>
> If you want it to feel like it is still vertical, consider including a third-party loyalty card at the point of transaction. I don't know what makes sense for Staples, but at any hotel, you can usually use your airline loyalty # to get extra miles.
>
> -j
>

> On 1/14/2010 3:42 PM, Eve Maler wrote:
>> Aha, thanks.  I can see your point about generalizing this.  It kind of gets to a conceptual inconsistency that we've been allowing ourselves in the UMA scenarios and use cases.  I don't think the inconsistency is bad, per se, since I want people to feel comfortable getting any and all potential UMA problem spaces on the table.
>>
>> But it may lead to some confusion: Some scenarios are "vertical", talking about a particular real-life or realistic example and then following its implications (which may be general or generalizable), and some are "horizontal", talking about a generic technical situation.  E.g., e-commerce and personal loan are vertical in nature, and requester delegate and the terms negotiation stuff are horizontal.  And there are others that might be hybrids.
>>
>> I'm reluctant to take the verticality out of e-commerce, since I really did examine the fields that you need to fill in on a few e-commerce sites.  But its distinctive aspects are shared by other examples, of which quite a few are certainly also VRMish.  What if I were to add a paragraph or subsection that discusses other types of requester applications that might benefit from such packages of fresh information?
>>
>> But if people would really rather broaden it, that's okay too...  I think it would remain somewhat vertical that way, just, um, "wider".
>>
>> 	Eve

> [...]

Eve Maler
eve at xmlgrrl.com