[WG-UMA] Protected Inbox Scenario

Joe Andrieu joe at switchbook.com
Thu Jan 14 13:52:17 EST 2010

Indeed, Iain has generalized the protected inbox to a more interesting
area, at least for us VRM aficionados.

I think there are three elements of the scenario that we want under the
user's control:

1. Intent
2. Access Control
3. Notification

(These terms can be improved, but I'll use them for now.)

1. Intent is about controlled release of an individual's intention data.
That is, authorizing particular parties access to a protected resource
which represents a statement of the user's interests or intention.
	Potential Intention data:
	a. Search Keywords
	b. Portable Context / Search Map
	c. Topics of Interest (from a lexicon rather than free form keywords)
	d. Filters (Keyword/Topic/Source)
	e. Classification of desired result types (products, events, locations,
etc.)
	f. Intent-to-Buy (formerly known as a Personal RFP)

2. Access control is about controlling access to the incoming service
endpoint for communications, i.e., the protected inbox.  I think from a
UMA perspective, the important thing here is to actually throttle the
incoming stream as much as is feasible.  For example, controlling
frequency at the AM, but not attempting to analyze content to discern
purpose. So, if "purpose" is part of the access control policy, then
that would have to be self-asserted by the sender.
	Potential access control policy elements:
		Frequency
		Timing
		Purpose (self asserted, "standard" values understood)
		Channel (may include channels outside UMA control loop)

3. Notification is about notifying the sender (once authenticated) about
the access control policy they are currently authorized for. This is a
means for an individual to tell a vendor the nature of messages they
want to receive.  This is probably best served as a separate, modulated
resource, where a vendor can request access to a resource containing a
statement of relevant policy.

What I wasn't sure of when writing the Protected Inbox scenario was
whether or not we wanted to accept this entire can of worms.  I focused
on access control (#2), skipped #1 entirely, and suggested #3 might be
deferred.

Do we want to craft a scenario for "Permission Marketing" or something
similar (I am not a fan of that term...), perhaps "Intention-driven
Communications"?

FWIW, SwitchBook is essentially building an approach to
"Intention-driven Communications", built around Search as the scope of
intention and the browser as the channel for interaction. So, this is
particularly intriguing and useful for us.

-j