[WG-UMA] Protected Inbox Scenario

Iain Henderson iain.henderson at mydex.org
Thu Jan 14 01:43:22 EST 2010

Hi Joe, co-incidentally I had asked Eve yesterday if there was room/
time for a 'Permission Marketing' scenario....which there is, although
it may be best to think about combining that with the Protected Inbox.
Let's see.

Where I was coming from with the Permission Marketing one, was that
when a personal data store provider exists, there will be a set of
data attributes under management that relate to:

- who I want to hear from
- what I want to hear about
- how I want to hear about it (channel preferences)
- when I want to hear about it
- who I don't want to hear from

Some of these data attributes have legal backing in European privacy
law and in other geographies (Canada, Australia, NZ and no doubt a few
others...and USA in respect to the phone suppression list). There are
others that have industry good practices associated, the running of
suppression files....less legally backed but an industry in itself.
And that's all before we get to things like Change of Address
registers, deaths registers and various other suppression approaches.

So I guess i'm saying that as well as protecting the inbox (which
deals with marketers/ spammers/ uninvited guests), would it also be
possibly to have the above data attributes available by subscription
to the people that I do want to hear from (in this case i'm thinking
about the direct marketing I do want to receive, and not just through
e-channels). Or that I cold manage my opt in/ opt out preferences in
the one place rather than the current scenario whereby they are all
over the place, with the data maintenance headaches that entails.

Thoughts?

Iain