[Wg-uma] Technology matrix

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Mon Sep 28 11:47:35 PDT 2009

Been thinking about this one, and I'd say that it's possible to
compare UMA only to specific sets of protocols/technologies, not to
general concepts.  Since we're planning for UMA to help manage access
to the contents of a personal datastore (whether that's an on-board
Host or a Host that lives elsewhere from the AM), I'd need to know all
the components of the RDBMS-based solution in order to do a
comparison.  And in fact, the storage medium is the least interesting
part since it's "invisible" from a protocol perspective.

As an example, the Mine! offers a personal datastore solution (though
I believe its originators don't like to use this term), and I know how
to compare UMA usefully to the Mine! approach, which enabled me to put
it in the matrix.  But both a Mine! implementation and an UMA
implementation could presumably use RDBMS storage (vs. LDAP or
whatever), and it wouldn't impact the comparison.

Does this help?  (Obviously I'm still working my way through list
traffic!)

	Eve

On 23 Sep 2009, at 12:45 PM, Iain Henderson wrote:

> Looks good Eve, how about adding the relationship between UMA and a
> personal data store (e.g. one based on RDBMS)?
>
> Iain
>
> On 23 Sep 2009, at 14:52, Eve Maler wrote:
>
>> At last week's meeting in Las Vegas, it was suggested that I take
>> the compare/contrast matrix buried in my ProtectServe slide deck
>> and turn it into more of a "living" wiki resource.  I've now
>> completed that action:
>>
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Technology+Matrix
>>
>> Let me know if you have any suggestions for improving this page.
>>
>> 	Eve
>>
>> Eve Maler
>> eve at xmlgrrl.com
>> http://www.xmlgrrl.com/blog

> Iain Henderson
> iain.henderson at mydex.org
>
> This email and any attachment contains information which is private
> and confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you are
> not an addressee, you are not authorised to read, copy or use the e-
> mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please notify the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.

Eve Maler
eve at xmlgrrl.com