[Wg-uma] New Scenario: Managing Information in Which Employers and Employers Both Have a Stake

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Fri Sep 18 06:37:31 PDT 2009

There was a scenario with three use cases that I presented on my blog,
and I've now done it as proper contents of our Scenarios and Use Cases
document:

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/employer_scenario

It's reproduced below.  Let me know if you have feedback. (While I was
mucking in the overall document, I also went and marked the Calendar
scenario as "accepted", and modularized the loan request scenario into
its own wiki page...)

	Eve

Scenario: Managing Information in Which Employers and Employers Both
Have a Stake (Pending)
Submitted by: Eve Maler

Both an employer and their employees might want to impose their own
constraints on the sharing of the same employee-related resource.
Examples of pieces of information your employer holds that you might
want to share with others:

Employment status (e.g., active or inactive; often needed when you
apply for a loan)
U.S. Internal Revenue Service W-4 (tax withholding) form details
(handy for sharing with accountants and investment planners)
Some additional ones listed in the Liberty ID-SIS Employee Profile
Service specification:

Employee ID internal to enterprise
Date of hire
Job start date
Employee type (e.g., part-time or full-time)
Internal job title
etc.
The following “user stories” capture the distinctive aspects of this
scenario:

As an employee, Alice wants to audit and control the further
dissemination of information her employer must know about her as a
condition of employment.
As an employer, BigCo wants to adhere to laws and best practices
regulating its sharing of information about its employee.
See the use cases below for the different configurations in which the
actors might appear.

Issue: In large companies, typically the function of verifying
someone's employment is outsourced to a specialized company. The
employer is still seen as authoritative for employment status and
other such data, though. For such information, where in the use cases
below the employer is assumed to be the authoritative Host, perhaps
the employer needs to provides a pointer to the employer's chosen
verification service resource, such that the resource being shared is
a pointer to a pointer (double indirection). Or perhaps the employer
instructs Alice to introduce her AM to the real Host directly.

Use Case: Employer as AM and Host (Pending)
Submitted by: Eve Maler

Here, the employer runs an employee profile self-service application
that could include both AM and Host functionality. The AM could let
Alice configure her sharing policies, but could also let Alice know
that it will be enforcing additional constraints out of band with
respect to UMA.

This is probably a “legacy” solution because it forces the employee to
seek out other relationship managers in the outside world where
they’re just an individual rather than an employee, and it seems the
employer would be hosting the AM only for corporate inertia
(admittedly, a force to be reckoned with).

Use Case: Employer as Host (Pending)
Submitted by: Eve Maler

For information for which the employer is authoritative (”Is this
person employed here?”), it could offer a Host willing to attest to
this on request (in accordance with the instructions issued by Alice's
personal AM). If the employer doesn’t want to release the data even
though the employee wants to allow the sharing, it could use existing
access control mechanisms that are out of band with respect to UMA.

Issue: Should the employer-Host surface a response code to the
Requester that reflects this type of refusal? Should it provide audit-
log data back to the AM?

Use Case: Employer as Requester (Pending)
Submitted by: Eve Maler

For information that Alice already self-asserts to the employer (”What
is the employee’s home address of record?”), the employer should
ideally consume this data in the same way some other “vendor” (online
service) on the open Internet could. If the employee moves, a number
of workflow actions have to unroll on the employer’s side as they
would have anyway (in the U.S., moving to a different state might
involve withholding a different amount of state income tax), but this
is already handled in existing systems when the employee provisions
the new information into employee profile apps by value. An on-board
“personal datastore” Host is shown here with the user’s chosen AM, but
the Host could just as easily be remote.

Eve Maler
eve at xmlgrrl.com