[Wg-uma] E-commerce scenario has been revised

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Fri Sep 18 05:45:56 PDT 2009

This completes my action item 2009-09-10-1. Note that the use cases
under the e-commerce scenario have enough specialized implications
that they should be considered separately from the scenario.  So even
if we "accept" the scenario, I'd like to vote on the use cases
separately.

The scenario portion is below for your reading pleasure (or something).

	Eve

Scenario: Providing Account/Profile Data to E-Commerce Vendors (Pending)
Submitted by: Eve Maler

This scenario focuses on the typical set of information that we hand
over to online vendors repeatedly. Its distinctive aspects are:

Requires a packaging of several resources, and repeated use of that
package with different recipients.
The data involved is "self-asserted" to a first approximation. For
example, the credit card data we often share today is "asserted"
solely by us, but then the vendor validates it out of band.
Problem scenario
Let's look at how an online buying scenario might look today.

Bricks and mortar

Maya recently became extra-concerned about identity theft and fraud
because a friend had his bank account stolen from, and she has decided
to buy a shredder so she can dispose of old bills, credit-card offer
junk mail, and outdated backup CDROMs. She visits her local Staplers
store, prepared to buy a shredder that day (with cash! hey, it's
anonymous), but can't find a shredder in stock that handles CD
shredding.
Comparison shopping

She goes to Google and a couple of specialized comparison-shopping
sites and plugs in search terms like paper shredder cdrom, but can't
easily figure out which ones have the features she wants, but the
prices at Staplers.com, the site for the local store she was just in,
look good and she decides to just go ahead and shop there.
Clicks and mortar

Once Maya is at Staplers.com, she finds a suitable shredder and adds
it to her shopping cart (which is, so far, "anonymous" with respect to
everything but the IP address associated with her browser session).
Checkout

When she goes to check out, Maya is asked for consent and personal
data for various purposes. First, she must choose a username and
password, on the theory that this will make her future purchases at
the site easier. She also has to provide her home address and phone
number (though this isn't so onerous because her browser auto-fills
the data) so Staplers can transfer the shredder to its outsourced
shipping company for delivery, and her credit card number, its
security code, its expiration date, and her real name (the name the
card was issued to) so Staplers can be paid for the purchase. Finally,
she is asked to click "I Agree" certifying that she agrees to
Stapler's site terms of use and has seen its privacy policy.
Desired improvements
Following are some key questions we can ask, identified by whether
they capture an identity management (IdM) issue, a vendor relationship
management (VRM) issue, or a social networking issue. (Note that some
of these questions highlight scenarios and use cases that the calendar
scenario has already captured. Some of these might want to get turned
into unique use cases for this scenario.)

Can we imagine better ways for Maya to set up a data-sharing
relationship with Staplers.com? (IdM, VRM)
She's planning to move in a couple of months, and that means the
address information Staplers has saved will go stale.
Same for her credit card: it will expire next year. When these items
change, she has to go fix them at dozens of sites.
She's not crazy about having to supply things like credit card
information to every vendor on the web.
She thought the site terms and privacy policy were just "okay", but
accepted them because she effectively has no choice – and OfficeArmory.com
  is probably the same anyway.
Is it possible for Maya to have a "one-night stand" with Staplers.com
rather than a long-running relationship? (IdM, VRM)
...if she doesn't really want Staplers to track her purchases,
browsing habits, or anything else over time.
...if she wants to share only the minimum personal information
Staplers really needs to do its job this once, and then only
temporarily.
Can we imagine betters ways for Maya to engage in the shopping-around
process, possibly involving her sharing more data about herself? (VRM
– particularly UD-VPI!)
What if she could "issue a personal RFP" indicating the price and
features she's interested in, and entertain vendor site "bids", such
that not only Staplers.com and OfficeArmory.com could bid, but also
Ann, who has a used shredder she'd like to sell?
What if she could let Staplers know her customer-support phone line
preferences, such as wait time and ad-playing tolerance?
What would it look like for Maya to get a unified understanding of all
of her data-sharing relationships? (VRM)
She sure would like to get a handle on her own "personal data
analytics" – "who knows what" about her.
If Staplers behaves badly (gives out her data against her rules or
allows a data breach to occur), she wants to be able to prove so – in
court, if necessary.
...and she wants to be able to cut off their future access to
information about her.
Solution Scenario
Maya shares the information about herself that Staplers.com needs at
the beginning of her e-commerce relationship with them, but instead of
having to share it "by value", she shares it as a pointer to a package
of resource pointers that Staplers can dereference and refresh as they
needs to over time. She can change the underlying information whenever
she wants to without worrying about paying special attention to
Staplers (or any of the other hundred e-commerce sites with which she
has registered.

Actors:

Maya (User)
Authorization manager (AM)
Personal datastore (Host) in which authoritative versions of resources
to be shared reside (that colocation of AM and Host is not a
requirement, but for this scenario the individual resources are
assumed to live on a single Host)
Staplers.com (Requester)
Distinctive aspects:

User can package and reuse resources commonly needed for e-commerce
into a rolled-up resource
Requester can handle receiving and dereferencing both a pointer to a
package resource and pointers to individual resources
AM can manage the offering and meeting of terms for resource-sharing
for the whole package and can take advantage of efficiencies where the
terms for individual resources are identical (might this be similar to
the Distributed Services scenario?)

Eve Maler
eve at xmlgrrl.com