[Wg-uma] ER scenario for consideration

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:48:18 PDT 2009

All,

I would like to suggest a complex scenario for consideration.  The scenario
involves going to the Emergency Room (ER) in a far-away city that does not
have access to any of your medical information.  Your symptoms are
sufficiently vague that the attending physician desires to see some of your
medical records in order to make a better diagnosis (and/or to save time and
cost of new tests).  You contact your medical records information provider
(which may or may not be your family doctor, HMO, or other health network)
to authorize the encrypted transmission of specific records to a specific
doctor, clinic or hospital.

This complex scenario involves multiple parties and various regulatory
issues (e.g., HIPAA).  It is likely to flush out authorization and privacy
issues that do not arise in some of the simpler scenarios that we are
currently discussing.

Thank you.

Jeff

--