[Wg-uma] New Scenario "Distributed Social Networks" and a modular specification

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Tue Sep 1 17:30:36 PDT 2009

On 31 Aug 2009, at 3:07 PM, Christian Scholz wrote:
> Eve Maler schrieb:
>> First observation: I'm not sure I understand the authorization/
>> parties "key concepts" list below.  I'd say, rather, that there is
>> a single act of authorization happening, with the opportunity for
>> two kinds of constraints to be imposed on the authz decision --
>> both of them derived directly from the user's wishes.  The first
>> kind of constraint is "policy" that can be imposed unilaterally,
>> without the Consumer/Client even knowing about it.  The second kind
>> is "terms/conditions" that the Client must meet before gaining
>> access.
>
> It might be good to have examples for that. For me as non native
> speaker it's not always clear what's meant.
> So I think what we might have is:
>
> - The Service Provider having some sort of TOS which are fixed. They
> can have things like:
>   - I do not give out your data to third parties without your consent
>   - All you upload belongs to us
>   - We can terminate your account on every third tuesday of a month
> but only until 11am
> - The user can tell the Authorization Manager under which conditions
> a Service Provider should give access to a Consumer or which parts
> of the data are given out. Examples:
>   - Only give out day and month of my birthday but not the year
>   - Only give out free/busy information of my events etc.
>   - I am not sure about an example for conditions.. maybe "give out
> my profile to user with id X but not with ID y"? (assuming the
> Consumer will tell the SP which user is going to have access to it
> but this might be solvable with some kind of tag system. The AM then
> might need to tell the Consumer which users are allowed. But for
> this some use case might be handy)
>
> So I guess the first one are terms and the second policy.

Your guesses, I would say, are correct.  To a first approximation, I
would define policy as something can be executed unilaterally, and
terms as something that require the other party to act in some
fashion.  (They do sort of "meet in the middle", though.)

You gave great examples of user-driven policy.  To give a fuller idea
of user-driven policy and also some terms we've had in mind, below is
a portion of the most recent wireframe I had developed for the
ProtectServe vision: