[Wg-uma] Terminology

Joe Andrieu joe at switchbook.com
Tue Sep 1 01:12:01 PDT 2009

This is getting close.

I like User, especially as it is in sync with both UMA and UD-VPI names.

I also like all of the other components as "services". The Client
Service term might be improved, but I think it clarifies that the we
don't mean the client software (user-agent) or a more traditional client
in a client/server sense.  Most importantly, I think "services" as a
common referent in 2,3, and 4, distinguishes them from the live person
of the user.

However, I think #3 "responder service" doesn't quite capture the
essence. That service isn't defined by the fact that it responds. All
interactive services do respond to input. It's the nature of interactivity.

Rather, I think the #3 service as more of a data host or data provider.
It is where the data lives that is being authorized for and accessed
through UMA. It is the source of the shared information.

My own jargon would suggest "Datastore Service", but that may be too
jargony. =)

How about Data Service? Or Data Hosting Service? Or Hosting Service?

On 9/1/2009 12:35 AM, Diego R. Lopez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1 Sep 2009, at 03:15, Eve Maler wrote:
>> What about the following as "clean" set of terms (that still has
>> unique abbreviations)?
>>
>> 1: User (U)
>> 2. Authorization Service (A)
>> 3. Responder Service (R)
>> 4. Client Service (C)
>
> I've been lurking at this discussion while trying to make a clear
> opinion, but now I must say I like this
> proposal: clean, clear and well aligned with IETF's OAuth...
>
> Be goode,
>
> --
> "Esta vez no fallaremos, Doctor Infierno"
>
> Dr Diego R. Lopez
>
> Red.es - RedIRIS
> The Spanish NREN
>
> e-mail: diego.lopez at rediris.es