[Wg-uma] New Scenario "Distributed Social Networks" and a modular specification

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Wed Aug 19 10:36:58 PDT 2009

Here's my attempt at better comprehensibility.

First observation: I'm not sure I understand the authorization/parties
"key concepts" list below.  I'd say, rather, that there is a single
act of authorization happening, with the opportunity for two kinds of
constraints to be imposed on the authz decision -- both of them
derived directly from the user's wishes.  The first kind of constraint
is "policy" that can be imposed unilaterally, without the Consumer/
Client even knowing about it.  The second kind is "terms/conditions"
that the Client must meet before gaining access.

(We can imagine a policy/term hybrid that conditions the Client's
access on merely being informed: "Access this resource at your own
risk; here are my policies..."  Do we need to consider a #scenario for
this?  Something like "Informing a Consumer/Client of the user's terms
without requiring positive confirmation of meeting/accepting them.")

Second observation: I think it would be useful for at least Christian
and me, and likely others, to do a closer examination of the proposed
flow in ProtectServe, and maybe compare/contrast with expectations and
other models.  I dimly recall Christian's earlier experimentation with
"4-legged OAuth" flows being a kind of mirror image of the PS
proposal.  Perhaps we can see if there's general interest for this in
tomorrow's call.

Towwards the goal of syncing up, please forgive me for any repetition,
but here's a quick-reference summary of the ProtectServe flow
(detailed view here: http://www.xmlgrrl.com/blog/archives/2009/06/02/protocol-peep-show/
  ):

0. User mediates the introduction of service provider to authorization
manager.  This is almost entirely straight OAuth, allowing the SP to
to make authorization requests of the AM later on when Consumers/
Clients request access to something at the SP.

1. Client tries to access a resource and gets sent by SP over to the
AM to "register". (The resulting token, which we called an "access
token" a la OAuth, doesn't actually guarantee access, just gives a
unique correlation handle to the Client for all future use.)

2. Client retrieves the terms and conditions for this type of access
to this resource and meets them to the AM's satisfaction.  The user
can exercise her opportunity to demand real-time approval here, which
would happen in some out-of-band way.

3. Client attempts access again; SP asks AM for policy decision and
lets the Client in if the AM says it's okay.

	Eve