[Wg-uma] New Scenario "Distributed Social Networks" and a modular specification

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Thu Aug 13 11:01:20 PDT 2009

Christian-- Thanks very much, for many things!  The new scenario, the
modularity suggestions, and your very active participation in today's
call.

I agree with an approach of small modular specs with extension
points/"interfaces" to other specs -- which may be our own, may come
from elsewhere, or in some cases may not even exist yet (as long as we
have a temporary workaround or a default).

We'll have to try your specific extension point suggestion and see if
it will work.  If we approve a scenario that involves, say, just
auditing access without imposing terms/policies (this is something
I've thought about!), then it would make this demarcation point even
more obviously necessary.

BTW, I intend to throw a bunch of scenario and use-case suggestions
into email, and I encourage others to do the same.  For ease of
finding champions to work on them later, how about we hashtag our
email message content? Like this (for the scenario point made just
above):

#scenario: AM audits access without needing to authorize it

And from the discussion in today's call:

#scenario: Managing ACLs for service authz through integration with
PoCo or a similar contact service
#usecase: For Distributed Social Networks scenario, showing that the
Consumer approaches a Discovery Agent first
#issue: How an SP can convey a manifest of managed resource URIs and
their descriptors to an AM
#scenario: Showing "eager" AM contact with a Consumer to invoke some
provision of a data-sharing condition, vs...
#scenario: Showing need for infrequent (vs. every-time) requests by an
SP for AM to grant access
#scenario: A user selling access to data

(Even if no one else finds this way of making our email more "machine-
readable", I know I will; hopefully it doesn't look too ugly.)

	Eve

On 13 Aug 2009, at 8:42 AM, Christian Scholz wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Just to inform you: I added a new scenario to the list titled
> "Distributed Social Networks":
>
> http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA+Scenarios+and+Use+Cases#UMAScenariosandUseCases-Scenario%3ADistributedSocialNetworks%28Pending%29
>
> This is mainly what my focus is on. If you have questions about it
> or something is not clear please provide feedback.
>
> Additionally I wanted to come back to the discussion point on the
> last call about how to develop the specification.
> I would like to suggest to try a quite modular approach where a base
> spec would only contain very little functionality
> but lots of extension points. E.g. I like that the XRD spec is
> supposed to be very lightweight (I personally would remove
> even more from it) but is extensible via XML namespaces. The same
> for OAuth where the actual authorization mechanism and the
> process of obtaining a token are now two separate specifications.
>
> Thinking about my scenario I could imagine the following (not sure
> it fits everything though):
>
> - a base specification which enables distributed authorization
> without any policies attached (just authorize the use of a certain
> API)
> - additional specifications defining different policy mechanisms
>
> I am not sure that fits but maybe we can come up with something
> modular, even if we first start with only one and see later what
> might be an extension and thus can be factored out.
>
> Just some thoughts!
>
> TTYS,
>
> Christian
>
> PS: I am not sure I can make it 1:30 today so I might have to drop
> out after 1h.

Eve Maler
eve at xmlgrrl.com