[Wg-uma] New Scenario "Distributed Social Networks" and a modular specification

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Thu Aug 13 08:42:42 PDT 2009

Hi there!

Just to inform you: I added a new scenario to the list titled
"Distributed Social Networks":

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA+Scenarios+and+Use+Cases#UMAScenariosandUseCases-Scenario%3ADistributedSocialNetworks%28Pending%29

This is mainly what my focus is on. If you have questions about it or
something is not clear please provide feedback.

Additionally I wanted to come back to the discussion point on the last
call about how to develop the specification.
I would like to suggest to try a quite modular approach where a base
spec would only contain very little functionality
but lots of extension points. E.g. I like that the XRD spec is
supposed to be very lightweight (I personally would remove
even more from it) but is extensible via XML namespaces. The same for
OAuth where the actual authorization mechanism and the
process of obtaining a token are now two separate specifications.

Thinking about my scenario I could imagine the following (not sure it
fits everything though):

- a base specification which enables distributed authorization without
any policies attached (just authorize the use of a certain API)
- additional specifications defining different policy mechanisms

I am not sure that fits but maybe we can come up with something
modular, even if we first start with only one and see later what might
be an extension and thus can be factored out.

Just some thoughts!

TTYS,

Christian

PS: I am not sure I can make it 1:30 today so I might have to drop out
after 1h.

--
Christian Scholz                          Homepage: http://comlounge.net
COM.lounge GmbH                              blog: http://mrtopf.de/blog
Tel: +49 241 400 730 0                           E-Mail cs at comlounge.net
Fax: +49 241 979 00 850                               IRC: MrTopf, Tao_T

neuer Podcast: Der OpenWeb-Podcast (http://openwebpodcast.de)
new podcast: Data Without Borders (http://datawithoutborders.net)