[WG-P3] Anna Slomovic's Follow up thread (RE: IAWG P3 Agendas going into Berlin)

Mark Lizar mark at smartspecies.com
Sun May 8 14:02:54 EDT 2011

Hello All,

I am moving this thread to the P3 list so that our members can have a
chance to respond and to reduce the P3 mail flow to those that have
been included in this thread.  For those who are interested I
encourage you to follow and participate in this discussion on the P3
list.

I am working on a summary of the evolved P3 and PF scope this week for
the imminent F2F.    I will send this to the P3 list for discussion
asking P3 to contribute to developing  a clear picture of the P3
position for other Kantara efforts to be able to engage with.  Until
then I present a draft summary of the privacy framework scope.

Draft PF Scope

To provide an over arching privacy framework for Kantara efforts to be
able to integrate with.  Specifically, we are now working towards
developing a privacy assurance framework that is able to utilise the
existing IAF infrastructure.  In order  to do this we are evaluating
privacy profiles that credentials can integrate with to transfer
privacy requirements to the recipient of the credential.

This issue falls into the realm of international policy as privacy
rules and use of principles differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
As P3 is an active member in International Policy community and the
international Privacy community P3 is an ideal position to develop a
Kantara privacy framework that will have the full force of regulatory
efforts behind it.

P3 clearly advocates that a privacy by design approach to assurance is
necessary for Kantara certifications, in addition, privacy is a core
component in any trust management initiative.

In regards to Jeff's Point below, I agree that there is a need for an
independent privacy notice effort to provide indicator for federated
Identity management.  A topic I will put on the Agenda.    In fact, I
personally believe that a federated identity notice standard or
protocol can be explored as a tool for P3 and Kantara to interoperate
with the diverse communities that are involved in privacy and public
policy.  (interoperability being a core driver for the adoption of
Kantara certifications.)

Best Regards / Mark