[WG-P3] NIST 800-53, Appendix J, comments v2

Mark@Identity Trust mark.lizar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:12:25 EDT 2011

Thanks Anna for the draft comments,

Like Susan,  I would also like to draw attention to a set of issues
which I think should be further discussed (if necessary) in P3 and
considered in the comment to this NIST Appendix.

A great example of the set of issues I refer to here was raised this
week by the ULD  Data Protection Commissioners in Germany. In which
the ULD argued:

"By using the Facebook service traffic and content data are
transferred into the USA and a qualified feedback is sent back to the
website owner concerning the web page usage, the so called web
analytics"

and that in this regard,

"There is no sufficient information of users and there is no choice; the
wording in the conditions of use and privacy statements of Facebook
does not
nearly meet the legal requirements relevant for compliance of legal
notice,
privacy consent and general terms of use," Source: https://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/presse/20110819-facebook-en.htm

The NIST Appendix, if the privacy control within were applied to this
use case does provide guidance for assessing the points being argued
by the ULD.  Although, this guidance is of limited use for non-
consensual data capture.  There is no distinction made in the NIST
Appendix between notification requirements when consent  is not
available, (e.g. when a user is not logged into Facebook and service
traffic is transferred, or even more generally under IP based video
surveillance in a commercial premise, third party data transfers) in
particular when consent for that data use does not come directly from
the data subject.

Comment: Notice in the absence of consent should be specified in the
privacy controls that NIST is presenting in the Appendix.   Perhaps an
emphasis could be suggest in TR-1 b). on page 4 of the appendix to the
non consensual requirements for notice. E.g. Altering section,

"(iv)  whether individuals have the ability to consent to specific
uses or sharing of PII and how to exercise any such consent;" should
be further considered and discussed.

To,

   (iv) whether (or not) individuals have the ability to consent to
specific uses or sharing of PII and how to exercise any such consent;
(Or with the absence of consent  from the data subject (sufficiently
functional notice for the systematic use of the subjects data rights.)

Best Regards,

Mark Lizar