[WG-P3] Opportunity to comment at IGF Future of Privacy Workshop

Susan Landau susan.landau at privacyink.org
Fri Sep 3 18:04:17 EDT 2010

On 9/3/10 5:05 PM, J. Trent Adams wrote:
> Team -
>
> Assuming that there's buy-in to Frederik's point that effective privacy
> solutions are tightly coupled with user experience (e.g. including
> setting/achieving expectations), the latest version we have is:
>
> -----
> The Kantara Initiative Privacy&  Public Policy Work Group (P3WG)
> believes that it is important to support the open development of
> globally-applicable privacy standards, both technical and regulatory, in
> order to enhance confidence in the Internet ecosystem.  To do so, the
> P3WG actively engages with individuals, enterprises, policymakers,
> regulators and adoption communities on best practices and common
> solutions.  Fundamental to effective privacy are transparent user-driven
> design architectures that secure private information and enable
> information-sharing in a privacy-enhancing manner.  Only by
> multi-stakeholder collaboration will viable solutions emerge, be
> deployed, and maintained.
> -----
>
> If this looks like a statement this group can support, I'd like to put
> it into a formal motion.  Unfortunately, while we have received some
> great input over the past couple days, we're quickly approaching the
> deadline for submission.
>
> ... so please consider this a last call before going to vote.  Toss out
> any more edits before COB today (Friday).

I agree with Frederik that user buy in is crucial, but I read
"user-driven design architectures" as a marker that puts us in a place
we probably don't want to be.   Users in the driver's seat can put
security in the wrong place.  I'm not comfortable with the description.
   I think it is not an accurate description of Kantara's objectives
(but can live with it if I have to).

Sorry.

Susan