[WG-P3] Privacy Management Framework: Work Stream Item

Mark Lizar mark at smartspecies.com
Wed May 26 09:11:28 EDT 2010

Dear All,

This topic has been listed as a Charter Item for the P3 workgroup and
I know there has been a lot of work evolving in this area over the
last few months.

This was the most popular work item on the work stream list, as almost
everyone showed interest in being involved on this topic, it is
clearly important to the membership of P3, and as secretary, I invite
people to post their thoughts, efforts, and IP that can be donated (if
any) on this work-stream item to the list.

As such, I would like to stimulate this topic on the list and see if
this effort can be updated. My understanding is that the intention was
to create a framework that would support assessment of a site's
(organisations) privacy in the same way that the IAF assesses identity
assurance.  The thought was that the same level of rigor needs to be
applied to privacy assurance as identity assurance.

I understand that their are both bottom up approaches with people
asserting privacy and the top down approaches with organisations
protecting privacy.  I know that there has been some excellent work on
the top down approach by Iain Henderson.  Personally I am currently
researching various trust frameworks and their impact on privacy
management from the bottom up and would like to contribute a public
policy framework to this effort.

In addition, the ISO document (mentioned in the last call as a global
update on Privacy Regulations) being published will greatly inform any
effort working on a Privacy Management Framework. To this end, I would
like to invite further discussion on the P3 list, to ask if anyone is
producing a white paper in this area, and ultimately, to see if there
is an effort or work already under way that can be contributed to this
effort.

  I have created a doodle poll to arrange a call to discuss any inputs
put forward and thoughts on the direction and future of this activity
in P3.  As Iain, Brett, myself and Darrell have all indicated strong
interest, I am happy to support other efforts in this direction and
facilitate this work item.

Best Regards,

Mark Lizar