[Wg-p3] letter (final version)

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Fri Sep 4 19:52:36 PDT 2009

Susan  / Jeff,

Could you perhaps clarify design criteria #2: "Prioritize candidate
technologies that have the capability to enable citizens access across
all relevant LoAs."

If it turns out that open government applications for citizens extend
across Levels of Assurance 1 - 3, is it being proposed to prioritize
those authentication technologies that would be appropriate at all 3
levels?  In addition to passwords (which could be used as one
authentication factor at all 3 levels), a second authentication factor
at LoA 3 could include one-time password tokens, as well as both "soft"
and "hard" crypto tokens (X.509 certificates stored on a USB token or
the user's computer).  [Table 7 page 43 of NIST 800-63 Rev1 shows which
technologies combine to provide different assurance levels.]

What would be the criteria for prioritizing these alternatives?

Also, the newly formed User Login Experience WG might be able to help
address problems related to minimizing the complexity of interacting
with the complete set of citizen- facing applications.

Bob