[Wg-p3] Agenda for next P3 call

J. Trent Adams jtrentadams at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:04:51 EDT 2009

All -

Robin Wilton wrote:
> Many thanks, Jeff -
>
> Noting item 3 on the agenda, I would be interested to know the Group's
> views on clauses (7) and (9) of the Madrid Declaration - namely:
>
>> (7) Urge countries to ensure that individuals are promptly notified
>> when their personal information is improperly disclosed or used in a
>> manner inconsistent with its collection;
>> (9) Call for a moratorium on the development or implementation of new
>> systems of mass surveillance, including facial recognition, whole
>> body imaging, biometric identifiers, and embedded RFID tags, subject
>> to a full and transparent evaluation by independent authorities and
>> democratic debate;
> While I appreciate the general sentiment behind these two
> recommendations, I do have to wonder if they are realistic.
>
> For example:
>
> (7):  in my experience, a data controller (organisation) may not even
> be able to audit whether all uses of personal data, internally,
> satisfy the requirement for "purpose of use" to match "purpose of
> collection". How a country [sic] can therefore ensure that individuals
> are notified in cases of inappropriate use raises some huge practical
> enforcement problems.
>
> (9): Again, it's not clear to me that this is a realistic objective,
> given that the audience for this Declaration (member state
> policymakers) all have a strong economic interest in the development
> of such technology. That's a separate issue, it seems to me, from the
> question of ensuring that appropriate governance is applied to the
> subsequent deployment of technologies. If technical innovation is only
> to be allowed to proceed at the rate at which legislation can keep
> pace with it, we could be in for a rather longer recession than we had
> hoped...
>
> What do others think?

As The Public Voice did not request suggested modifications to their
Madrid Declaration, but are calling for support as drafted, ISOC's
position is not to support it as written.  While it includes reasonable
sentiment, there are concerns around some of the specific details as
well as the overall tone.

I will see if I our Policy team has time to elaborate on the rationale.

- Trent