[Wg-p3] Agenda for next P3 call

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Oct 28 12:33:56 EDT 2009

Regarding (7): I think we have to assume that our personal information
is already "out there", and that we cannot rely on those who have this
information to keep it secure.  I'm not sure what good it does to
provide these notices every time there is a data breach.  Maybe what the
Madrid Declaration should do is to encourage countries to develop
methods to ensure that one's personal information, in the wrong hands,
cannot be used to commit identity fraud.  For instance, it could
encourage countries to develop better methods of identity verification,
so that a claim of identity made by presenting some set of stolen
personal information can be further verified.

Regarding (9): This should clearly distinguish between development of
these systems, and their implementation.  IMO there should be a
moratorium on implementation of mass surveillance systems, subject to a
full evaluation, etc.  This is distinct from development of these
systems.  The UK, in particular, seems to be a country where such a
moratorium might be needed.  See the following New York Times article of
October 24, Britons Weary of Surveillance in Minor Cases
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/world/europe/25surveillance.html?_r=2&sq=uk%20surveillance&st=cse&scp=1&pagewanted=all>.

Bob P.