[Wg-p3] draft letter to GSA

Susan Landau Susan.Landau at sun.com
Wed Aug 26 05:44:04 PDT 2009

Here is the draft letter that Jeff and I, with some help from Robin,
prepared to send to GSA/ICAM regarding LoA 1 and privacy.  (I have sent
it in .odt, since I am an open source person.  It is readable in
Windows.)  I'm not quite sure of the best way to handle this; I suspect
comments back and forth between us all is more useful than a group edit.

In writing this, we had several principles we hewed to:

o  Discuss LoA 1 in the context of the systemic security and usability
for the entire stack of levels of assurance.

o Be specific about privacy issues wrt LoA 1 --- and the full set of
levels of assurance.

o Do not include any discussion of problems with OpenID and LoA 1.
While we may see OpenID as inimical to the federal levels of assurance,
Kantara will want to work with OpenID in the future and including such
discussion is not useful.

o  Keep the tone gracious, so that the suggestions are palatable to
GSA/ICAM.

o Offer Kantara as an agent to help.

There is a complication, namely that Kantara Board is figuring out to
handle this.  But we can work on parallel tracks.  So we need to first
have a draft recommendation/letter out of wg-p3.  Therefore ... comments
and discussion back and forth on this letter so that we have something
the group is comfortable with.  If the discussion gets too hot and
heavy, then we can table til the call next week (but I'm hoping that
Jeff, Robin, and I sufficiently captured thoughts that we can hammer out
via email)

Thanks all.

Susan

Susan Landau                     phone: 413-259-2018
Distinguished Engineer           fax: 413-253-2156

        Sun Microsystems Laboratories
        MS UBUR02-311
        35 Network Drive
        Burlington MA 01803-0902