[Wg-p3] Advisory Committee: 'Comprehensive ID management' needed in U.S.

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:58:14 PDT 2009

Trent,

My take on the article is the the work referenced in the article is targeted
at transactions in their broadest sense.  ICAM has the limited focus of
developing a solution for public access to government applications.

Obviously, it would be ideal if the ICAM subset falls within the eventual
solution set that eventually emerges for the broader market which includes
b-to-b, b-to-c, b-to-g, as was a c-to-g.  Additionally, I interepret the
White House guidance as inclusive of other identity transactions beyond the
internet, such as physical access control and emergency response.

One major hurdle that tends to be overlooked, of course, is international
interoperability.  The article makes no reference to trying to resolve the
identity problem on a global basis.  Perhaps the US can lead and, if we
develop a sufficiently robust solution, others will follow.  But I don't see
any national identity solution having much life if it can't be globalized.
Businesses are global and people now deal globally without even knowing it
on the internet.  If we can't identity everyone involved in a transaction,
it is hard to put much trust in the transaction and one's ability to protect
his/her privacy.

Jeff

stollman.j at gmail.com