[Wg-p3] draft letter to US ICAM in response to Open Government Identity Management Solutions Privacy Workshop held 10 AUG

Randy Vanderhoof rvanderhoof at smartcardalliance.org
Fri Aug 21 10:23:20 PDT 2009

Jeff,

I apologize in advance if my question seems inappropriate for this
discussion, but I think I am the least "technically informed" person on this
committee.

1.       The draft states:

While OpenID v.1 is widely deployed, it does not meet your design principle
1.

What design principle does OpenID v.1 not meet for LOA 1?  This claim needs
to be explained.

2.     The letter does make a strong enough argument for why the LOA1
solution needs to scale up?  Today the LOA3 requires a certificate or token.
The LOA1 solution today which is user name/password does not scale up to
LOA3, so why does LOA1 with OpenID have to be different?

Isolating a particular segment of the system (LoA 1) can only be effectively
undertaken if it can be demonstrated that doing so will not violate any of
the design principles for which the system as a whole is being developed.

Sincerely,

Randy Vanderhoof

Randy Vanderhoof                   Address: 191 Clarksville Road, Princeton
Junction, New Jersey (USA) 08550

Executive Director                   Direct Phone: (1)609.587.4208
Alliance Main Phone: (1)800.556.6828  Cell: (1)609.731.8251

Smart Card Alliance                Direct Email:
rvanderhoof at smartcardalliance.org  Alliance Main Email:
info at smartcardalliance.org

www.smartcardalliance.org

Upcoming Smart Card Alliance Conference Events:

<http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?e=16a5abff-f8a7-4df6-abf6-2
79dcbaeb496> 8th Annual Smart Cards in Government Conference - October
28-30, 2009, Washington DC -  the annual government smart card identity and
security industry-focused  conference and exhibition, moved to the
Washington DC Convention Center for 2009

 <http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/activities-leap> Join LEAP -
Leadership, Education, and Advancement Program - Find out how to become
certified as a Certified Smart Card Industry Professional (CSCIP).

Get Connected ... Get Active ... Join The Smart Card Alliance!

Visit the Smart Card Alliance web site for details or click on
<http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/membership-faq> SCA Membership FAQ