[Wg-p3] Wg-p3 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 30

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:36:05 PDT 2009


Mark,

I think you recommendation about engaging Canada is quite apt.  From a US
perspective, given the number of people who cross the border with the US'
largest trading partner on a daily basis, I think that harmonization with
Canada would prove of great value.  Furthermore, the ability of Canadians to
participate in what are currently US-centric meetings is enhanced by their
proximity and similar time zones.

Jeff

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Mark Lizar <info at smartspecies.com> wrote:

>
> Is there a document initiative for mapping these gaps between governments?
>  Perhaps, first to map the gap between the UK, US, to set the tone and pace,
> then to continue on by country.  This would be an extremely helpful document
> and a good basis for industry/gov related research.
>
> In addition, I am currently hunting some participation in the Canadian
> Government as I have contacts there and am from Ottawa (the capital).  Is
> there anyone else focusing here?
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> On 20 Aug 2009, at 08:08, Patrick Curry wrote:
>
>  You ought to be aware that the main UK document for levels of assurance is
>> the Information Assurance Requirements for Transformational Government
>> (IARTG), which is in draft circulation amongst a small group of UK
>> government, contractors and advisers.  The levels of assurance in the
>> IARTG
>> do not map very well to M0404 and make no technical specification in quite
>> the way NIST SP 800-63 does.  I have been asking the UK gov folks to take
>> account of some of the features of 800-63 and also to focus on
>> interoperability.  Hence, I have invited UK gov policy folks onto P3WG to
>> talk about how we close the gaps, but it will take a while to get an
>> answer
>> on representation as it is vacation time.
>>
>> I suspect the ID Assurance WG faces the same problem, so we ought to work
>> together.
>>
>> yours sincerely
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> Patrick Curry
>> Director
>> Clarion Identity Ltd
>> M:   +44 786 024 9074
>> T:   +44 1980 620606
>> patrick.curry at clarionidentity.com
>> Disclaimer
>> Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clarion
>> Identity Limited, Rock House, SP3 4JY does not accept legal responsibility
>> for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are
>> solely
>> those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Clarion
>> Identity Limited unless otherwise specifically stated. If this message is
>> received by anyone other than the addressee, please notify the sender and
>> then delete the message and any attachments from your computer.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: wg-p3-bounces at kantarainitiative.org
>> [mailto:wg-p3-bounces at kantarainitiative.org] On Behalf Of
>> wg-p3-request at kantarainitiative.org
>> Sent: 19 August 2009 20:00
>> To: wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
>> Subject: Wg-p3 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 30
>>
>> Send Wg-p3 mailing list submissions to
>>        wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org
>>
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>        wg-p3-request at kantarainitiative.org
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>        wg-p3-owner at kantarainitiative.org
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Wg-p3 digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>  1. Re: US and UK IA/LoA approaches (Robin Wilton)
>>  2. Re: US and UK IA/LoA approaches (Georgia Marsh)
>>  3. Congratulations P3WG--leadership confirmed! (Britta Glade)
>>  4. Re: Congratulations P3WG--leadership confirmed! (Robin Wilton)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:20:54 +0100
>> From: "Robin Wilton" <futureidentity at fastmail.fm>
>> Subject: Re: [Wg-p3] US and UK IA/LoA approaches
>> To: "Paul Madsen" <paulmadsen at rogers.com>
>> Cc: Kantara P3WG <wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org>
>> Message-ID: <1250623254.20281.1330458389 at webmail.messagingengine.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>
>> Hi Paul -
>>
>> I'm sure it's not unique to the UK... but I think you're right
>> that the combination of the 'technical standard' approach plus
>> the 'risk assessment' guidance is more effective than either of
>> the parts separately.
>>
>> R
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:31 -0400, "Paul Madsen"
>> <paulmadsen at rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robin, wrt the US/UK distinction, does not the combination
>> of OMB m04-04 & NIST 800 63 provide the model that you suggest is
>> unique to the UK ?
>> Paul
>> Robin Wilton
>>
>> Director, Future Identity
>> Director of Privacy and Public Policy, Liberty Alliance
>>
>>
>> www.futureidentity.eu
>> +44 (0)705 005 2931
>> ====================================================================
>> Structured consulting on digital identity, privacy and public policy
>> ====================================================================
>> Future Identity is a limited company number 6777002, registered in England
>> &
>> Wales
>>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> <
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org/attachme
>> nts/20090818/31ab3b78/attachment-0001.html>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:48:56 -0500
>> From: "Georgia Marsh" <georgia-marsh at sbcglobal.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Wg-p3] US and UK IA/LoA approaches
>> To: "'Robin Wilton'" <futureidentity at fastmail.fm>,      "'Paul Madsen'"
>>        <paulmadsen at rogers.com>
>> Cc: 'Kantara P3WG' <wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org>
>> Message-ID: <000f01ca203c$ed162ae0$c74280a0$@net>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>
>> In the US,  M04-04 and NIST 800-63 are foundational IDM documents  used
>> together to determine risk and then to ascertain what technology (ies) and
>> vetting  is (are) necessary to mitigate the risk. The OMB doc is more
>> SP/RP
>> based  in that it's instructing the SP/RP on risk and specific assurance
>> levels. Several years ago  federal agencies were mandated by OMB to
>> conduct
>> "risk assessments" on all their external facing web applications. The NIST
>> document is all about technical requirements because that's what they do-
>> write the specs....
>>
>>
>>
>> Georgia
>>
>>
>>
>> From: wg-p3-bounces at kantarainitiative.org
>> [mailto:wg-p3-bounces at kantarainitiative.org] On Behalf Of Robin Wilton
>> Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:21 PM
>> To: Paul Madsen
>> Cc: Kantara P3WG
>> Subject: Re: [Wg-p3] US and UK IA/LoA approaches
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi Paul -
>>
>>
>>
>> I'm sure it's not unique to the UK... but I think you're right that the
>> combination of the 'technical standard' approach plus the 'risk
>> assessment'
>> guidance is more effective than either of the parts separately.
>>
>>
>>
>> R
>>
>>
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:31 -0400, "Paul Madsen" <paulmadsen at rogers.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robin, wrt the US/UK distinction, does not the combination   of OMB
>> m04-04 & NIST 800 63 provide the model that you suggest is unique to the
>> UK
>> ?
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>
>>
>> Robin Wilton
>>
>> Director, Future Identity
>> Director of Privacy and Public Policy, Liberty Alliance
>>
>>
>> www.futureidentity.eu
>> +44 (0)705 005 2931
>> ====================================================================
>> Structured consulting on digital identity, privacy and public policy
>> ====================================================================
>> Future Identity is a limited company number 6777002, registered in England
>> &
>> Wales
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> <
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org/attachme
>> nts/20090818/7dd7bc5a/attachment-0001.html>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:28:26 -0700
>> From: Britta Glade <britta at kantarainitiative.org>
>> Subject: [Wg-p3] Congratulations P3WG--leadership confirmed!
>> To: wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
>> Message-ID:
>>        <c1e582880908181728s75fe88dcg16464e0d3923b035 at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> Congratulations Privacy & Public Policy Work Group--your first WG vote has
>> successfully closed above the requisite number of votes needed to proceed.
>> Robin--you have earned the support of your group in leading them forward
>> as
>> chair.  Congratulations on crafting such a compelling charter and
>> gathering
>> such a sharp group of folks to collaborate and contribute.  Now that
>> process
>> is out of the way, you can get on to some terrific work :).
>>
>> Thanks, all, for taking the time to vote.  I'm sure Robin, as your new
>> chair, looks forward to your participation on Thursday's call.
>>
>> --b.
>>
>> --
>> Britta Glade Kantara Initiative 925-254-4233
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> <
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org/attachme
>> nts/20090818/4c37cff0/attachment-0001.html>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:24:35 +0100
>> From: "Robin Wilton" <futureidentity at fastmail.fm>
>> Subject: Re: [Wg-p3] Congratulations P3WG--leadership confirmed!
>> To: "Britta Glade" <britta at kantarainitiative.org>, "Kantara P3WG"
>>        <wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org>
>> Message-ID: <1250670275.32411.1330554195 at webmail.messagingengine.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>
>> Many thanks, everyone; I'm flattered, and also somewhat awed by
>> the task ahead.
>>
>> However, with your help I know we can contribute something useful
>> and truly groundbreaking in this field.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Robin
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:28 -0700, "Britta Glade"
>> <britta at kantarainitiative.org> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulations Privacy & Public Policy Work Group--your first WG
>> vote has successfully closed above the requisite number of votes
>> needed to proceed.  Robin--you have earned the support of your
>> group in leading them forward as chair.  Congratulations on
>> crafting such a compelling charter and gathering such a sharp
>> group of folks to collaborate and contribute.  Now that process
>> is out of the way, you can get on to some terrific work :).
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks, all, for taking the time to vote.  I'm sure Robin, as
>> your new chair, looks forward to your participation on Thursday's
>> call.
>>
>>
>>
>> --b.
>>
>> --
>> Britta Glade Kantara Initiative 925-254-4233
>> Robin Wilton
>>
>> Director, Future Identity
>> Director of Privacy and Public Policy, Liberty Alliance
>>
>>
>> www.futureidentity.eu
>> +44 (0)705 005 2931
>> ====================================================================
>> Structured consulting on digital identity, privacy and public policy
>> ====================================================================
>> Future Identity is a limited company number 6777002, registered in England
>> &
>> Wales
>>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> <
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org/attachme
>> nts/20090819/c147be1e/attachment-0001.html>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wg-p3 mailing list
>> Wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org
>>
>>
>> End of Wg-p3 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 30
>> ************************************
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wg-p3 mailing list
>> Wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wg-p3 mailing list
> Wg-p3 at kantarainitiative.org
> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org
>



-- 
Jeff Stollman
stollman.j at gmail.com
1 202.683.8699
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-p3_kantarainitiative.org/attachments/20090820/ccd7c147/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Wg-p3 mailing list