[Wg-p3] US and UK IA/LoA approaches

Georgia Marsh georgia-marsh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 12:48:56 PDT 2009

In the US,  M04-04 and NIST 800-63 are foundational IDM documents  used
together to determine risk and then to ascertain what technology (ies) and
vetting  is (are) necessary to mitigate the risk. The OMB doc is more SP/RP
based  in that it's instructing the SP/RP on risk and specific assurance
levels. Several years ago  federal agencies were mandated by OMB to conduct
"risk assessments" on all their external facing web applications. The NIST
document is all about technical requirements because that's what they do-
write the specs....

Georgia