[Wg-p3] Conference call reminder: Thursday 20th August

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Mon Aug 17 10:07:08 PDT 2009

I think there are several issues that need to be resolved (not
necessarily on this call) as the various WGs push forward with their work:

1.  The discussion of Levels of Assurance on the P3W list mixes up two
schemes for defining LoA: the NIST 800-63 / OMB04-04 scheme which uses
LoA 1 - 4, and which was adapted by Kantara in defining its Identity
Assurance Framework, and the British scheme defined in the UK Cabinet
Office document "Identity Risk Management for e-Government Services",
which uses LoA 0-3.  Although these two schemes are roughly equivalent,
they are not exactly the same in terms of identity proofing
requirements, types of credentials required at the various LoAs, etc..
So I think some decision needs to be made as to how to deal with this
situation.  In further discussions involving LoA, is reference being
made to the NIST/Kantara IAF scheme or the UK scheme?    Do we feel that
a new LoA scheme is needed which somehow combines the two, or otherwise
incorporates changes the WG believes are necessary?  Do we need to
evaluate and better understand the differences between the two schemes
before deciding how to answer these questions?

2.  One of the topics that is coming up in the email discussions is the
appropriate LoAs for consumer-related applications.  In the Consumer
Identity WG, a working assumption is that the types of consumer identity
issues that are of most importance, and that the WG should be dealing
with, come into play at "high assurance" levels, or at NIST LoA 3.
Although there is not that much difference between NIST LoAs 2 and 3 in
terms of how identity proofing is done (the main differences have to do
with how the supporting identity information/documentation is verified),
there is a big difference in terms of identity credentialing required.
At NIST LoA 2, a password alone is sufficient for authentication to an
identity provider, whereas at NIST LoA 3, the IAF requires
authentication based on either a one-time password or a cryptographic
key.  Too often consumer applications (in the US) are considered to be
at NIST LoA 2, which absolves the relying parties of having to deal with
the fact that consumers generally do not have authentication tokens
appropriate for NIST LoA 3 (that is, OTP generators or crypto keys).
One of the challenges for us (at least IMO), and for the Consumer
Identity WG in particular, is how we can create an identity ecosystem
that enables consumers to authenticate themselves using high assurance
identity tokens (ie, OTP generators or crypto keys).  This may be
different in the UK and other parts of the world, so addressing these
differences in an organization such as Kantara will be a challenge.

3.  Regarding the user interface issue and the use of OpenID at the
higher assurance levels, there is a perception that OpenId is
inappropriate at these higher assurance levels.  In the case where an
identity assertion is required from an OpenID identity provider that
asserts something about the consumer's identity, this may indeed be
true.  However, there are other cases where the relying party doesn't
need to actually establish the consumer's identity each time the
consumer accesses some high-value online resource, but instead what is
required is to authenticate that the person seeking access is the same
person who initially enrolled.  For instance, when logging into an
online banking service, what's needed is to verify that the person
seeking access is the person who initially enrolled (whose identity was
presumably verified at that time).  So in that case, OpenID may be
appropriate, as long as the OpenID is bound to the account during
enrollment, and subsequent authentication using the OpenID is based on
something stronger than a password (ie, a OTP or crypto key).  But then
there's the user interface issue.  Will consumers be confused if OpenID
is required for some situations, but other identity technologies such as
Information Cards are used in other cases?

I've raised a number of points here that I think are also relevant to
other WGs such as the Identity Assurance WG, Consumer Identity WG, and
the (proposed) User Login Experience WG.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG
908-654-1939