[Wg-p3] Prep For Privacy Workshop in Washington DC - August 10

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Aug 4 21:23:04 PDT 2009

I believe that one of the motivators behind these eGov efforts was the
desire to make government services more available to ordinary citizens.
For instance, this could include allowing citizens to access the Social
Security Administration's website (in the US) for the purpose of
changing beneficiary information, or a mailing address.   In my view,
there is a privacy issue if an imposter or other unauthorized individual
is somehow able to access these applications due to any type of security
failure.  Similar privacy issues can arise in other non-eGov
applications as well.  For instance, there is a big push (in the US) to
create electronic medical records.  A privacy issue exists if someone is
able to gain unauthorized access to someone else's electronic health
records.

One type of  "security failure" that could lead to these privacy
problems is the failure of policy makers to require adequate
authentication for access to these applications.  Of course, it's open
to debate as to what type of authentication should be required for
accessing these eGov and health applications.  Such debates would likely
involve some value judgements to be made about the degree of harm that
would come to an individual if someone could break into his/her SSA
account and change a mailing address or beneficiary.  Or if someone else
could access their online health records.

At least as far as I can tell, the types of eGov applications that might
involve individual citizens or consumers, as well as those involving
consumer online health records such as Google Health and Microsoft's
HealthVault, currently require only a static password for access.  So
according to NIST 800-63 as well as the Trust Framework Provider
Adoption Process document, these are essentially Assurance Level 2
applications.  OMB-0404 defines the types of risks associated with the
four Assurance Levels.  At AL-2, there is only a "low" risk of harm due
to unauthorized release of sensitive personal information, whereas at
AL-3 the risk of harm is deemed to be "moderate."

It shouldn't be very hard to argue that unauthorized access to eGov
applications such as Social Security, or access to online health
records,  may incur at least a "moderate" risk of harm to individuals.
So I'd propose that authentication for these applications ought to be
AL-3.  However, I suspect that the people who setup these eGov and
online health databases didn't decide to choose password-only
authentication because they first decided that there was only a "low"
risk of harm to individuals.  The more likely reason is that there
really is no alternative today for authentication of the
masses.......people just don't have personal certificates or one-time
password tokens, so the default is to use passwords.

Now everyone knows that using only passwords for protecting sensitive
online resources and personal information is just not a good idea.  Even
if you aren't tricked by a phishing email, there's always malware,
social engineering, and brute force methods to get at these passwords.
So now we have these new technologies and protocols such as SAML,
OpenID, and Information Cards.  Will using these help to increase
security and reduce privacy risks?  People speak of "SAML-based
authentication", but SAML is just a way to secure the movement of
identity information across boundaries, from an identity provider to a
relying party.  You could use only passwords for authentication at an
identity provider, and still use SAML for identity assertions to the
relying party.  So whether we are talking about SAML, OpenID, or
Information Cards, there still needs to be an authentication mechanism
that's stronger than using just passwords.  Some OpenID providers allow
authentication via one-time passwords or browser certificates, but most
just rely on passwords.  The Information Card protocols allow several
ways for a user/consumer to authenticate to the identity provider,
including PKI certificates.  But still, Information Card deployments
still seem to rely on only passwords for this authentication step. This
seems especially dangerous when Information Cards reside in cloud-based
selectors, since anyone who can successfully authenticate to the
selector can then use the Information Card.

Since this WG is concerned not only with privacy but with public policy,
I'd propose that Kantara (by means of this WG as well as the Consumer
Identity WG) at least consider taking the following stands:

    * That online eGov applications used by consumers, and other
      applications that involve sensitive personal information accessed
      by consumers (such as online health records), move away from
      authentication based on passwords only, and adopt stronger
      authentication methods.  Since the Assurance Level is dependent on
      the potential harm that might befall consumers who can be
      successfully impersonated online by a fraudster, it may first be
      necessary to make some statements concerning these levels of risk
      for various kinds of consumer eGov and other applications.   [Of
      course, Asssurance Level is also determined by other things such
      as how identity proofing is done, etc, but these are a bit removed
      from the point I'm trying to make.....that weak authentication is
      not good enough for protecting sensitive consumer eGov, health,
      and other apps....and that weak authentication leads to privacy
      violations]

    * That new identity management schemes such as OpenID and
      Information Cards adopt stronger authentication mechanisms such as
      X.509 certificates or one-time passwords for authentication of the
      consumer to the identity provider, instead of basing this
      authentication on passwords only.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG