[Wg-p3] Prep For Privacy Workshop in Washington DC - August 10

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:07:00 PDT 2009

Brett,
I am currently an advocate of the Information Cards approach because of its
ability to tailor identity information asserted for a particular transaction
to the specific requirements of the transaction.

For example, should I order a  widget from an online vendor for whom I have
no reputation information, I can provide an identity that consists of the
following:

   1. a name that may be a pseudonym to keep from being pestered 9e.g.,
   spammed) by the vendor after my order, but can still be tied to the
   information below
   2. a "ship to" number from my shipper of choice (e.g., FedEx, UPS) that
   does not disclose my actual "ship to" address
   3. a credit authorization from my credit-card provider that does not
   require disclosure of my credit card information
   4. substantiation that I am over 21 and eligible to purchase the wdiget

This allows preservation of privacy as long as the claims provided by me as
the purchaser can be verified by the vendor and include sufficient vetting
and [liability] recourse to give the vendor trust to ship the item to me.

I think that the atomic nature of claims provided is what is important here
-- not information cards as one implementation that embodies this
principle.  Most other approaches require assertion of a comprehensive
portfolio of identity claims which discloses more information than is
necessary about the subject -- putting such information in the [semi-]
public domain where it is not safe.

Thank you.

Jeff

stollman.j at gmail.com