[Wg-p3] Preparation for USG Privacy Workshop (Aug 10th)

Susan Landau Susan.Landau at sun.com
Tue Aug 4 13:20:10 PDT 2009

More questions/observations:

(i)  On page 6 of the Identity Scheme Adoption Process document that
Robin sent out (written by USG) it says "One outcome of this move has
been a transition away from a Federation model to an open model ..."
Later that same page the document says, "The goals of ICAM include ...
3. Providing the capability to re-use credentials across applications,
eliminating the need to create and maintain a credential system for each
application; and ..."

I think asking for a definition of "federation" is a very good idea.

(ii) Do we know where the U.S. government is using SAML-based
authentication?  It would be very useful to know various current uses.
Does anyone have an enumeration they can provide?

Thanks.

Susan

Susan Landau                     phone: 413-259-2018
Distinguished Engineer           fax: 413-253-2156

        Sun Microsystems Laboratories
        MS UBUR02-311
        35 Network Drive
        Burlington MA 01803-0902