[WG-OTTO] OTTO minutes 4/5/17

Mike Schwartz mike at gluu.org
Wed Apr 5 21:25:18 CDT 2017

https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-otto/blob/master/minutes/071-otto_minutes-4-5-2017.md

OTTO WG Minutes: 4/5/2017
STATUS: Draft

## Voting Members Attending:
  - Mike Schwartz
  - Yuriy Zabrovarnyy
  - Meg Joshi
  - Judith Bush
  - Janusz Ulanowski

## Approve minutes

Minutes 8/3/16 minutes to 3/29/17 are approved!

## Schema

Should Metadata be a class, and perhaps we define specific types of
Metadata, and anyone can extend it for the information needed for
their protocol? Who is operating? Where is it registered? With
what Federation?

Short discussion on localization. OpenID Connect has a clever solution
for
messages. See
http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#IndividualClaimsLanguages
However, it only accounts for locaziation of the value, not the key of a
json
data structure. Open Badge also provides an interesting model for
localization.
See
https://www.imsglobal.org/sites/default/files/Badges/OBv2p0/index.html#Internationalization

For further reading, Judith referenced this acticle: Linked Data and
Schema.org: Crossing the language chasm with terminological assets
http://www.tcworld.info/e-magazine/content-strategies/article/linked-data-and-schemaorg-crossing-the-language-chasm-with-terminological-assets/

The latest spec xml is checked in here:
  https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-otto/tree/master/xml

We decided to break up Vocabulary and API's. It will make it more clear.
Also,
the Core OTTO spec is going to focus on the core federation objects.
Specific
applications can be handled as "Extensions." SAML and Open Badge support
comes
to mind first. And perhaps OpenID Connect should also be handled as an
extension too (versus in the Core?)

Note: Mike talked to Keith after the meeting, and he seems up for
tackling the
SAML extension.

Should we reference schema.org as a default vocabulary? Section 4.2 of
the
JSON-LD 1.1 spec explains how to do this:
  http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld/#default-vocabulary
It seems like we should. Open Badges does not, but then each property
from
schema.org has to be referenced in their conte; for example, see:

https://www.imsglobal.org/sites/default/files/Badges/OBv2p0/v2/context.json

We think including the schema.org context  makes sense for OTTO because
would
give us re-use of common properties. For example, see the address
property of
That's something we are not going to add a lot of value defining, but
some
Partipcants or Federations may want to use it.

The current Vocabulary draft spec says in the Introduction:

```
If properties are included  OTTO federation JSON that cannot be mapped
the JSON-LD terms defined in the object's <spanx
style="verb">@context</spanx>,
they are not considered part of the OTTO metadata's meaning.
```

The intent is that implementers can use Schema.org vocabulary, even if
we
don't define it in our spec (like address).

We also discussed specifically the schema for Registration Authority.
Ironically, we sort of overlooked this Class because there is no
corresponding
API to create a RA, or to GET RA's. This entry should be returned
from the configuration endpoint.

After reviewing the schema, Judith suggested some changes which are
reflected in Github Commit
[570ba6](https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-otto/commit/570ba69adfe4213f21a67926da7c6074098a5451)

We also reviewed the diagrams from Judith. Mike agrees with the
Simplified diagram:
https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-otto/blob/master/files/070_jeb_diagram1_simplified.png

The more detailed diagram needs some work, it didn't render right.

## Next Meeting 4/12 12pm US Eastern Time

Same time, same place!

1.  Please join my meeting.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/162399285

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.
Or, call in using your telephone.

United States: +1 (669) 224-3319
Australia: +61 2 8355 1034
Austria: +43 7 2088 0716