[WG-OTTO] Fwd: Thoughts about Metadata for an Interfederated World

David Walker David at WalkerStreet.info
Wed Nov 30 12:30:35 CST 2016

FYI, here's the blog post about interfederation that I mentioned in this
morning's call.

After listening to Leif's more recent comments about trust "oracles," I
would modify my proposal more along those lines, as it has the potential
to simplify trust management for people who administer entities.  The
important thing is that the oracles would aggregate metadata from
multiple sources (self-asserted or otherwise), and that the aggregation
for a specific entity would be at the level of individual data elements
within the metadata, according to the oracle's policies.  Those policies
would not be restricted to selecting one source as authoritative for
everything known about the entity.

I'll also note that oracles would likely be present at multiple places.
A federation would almost certainly provide an oracle, but an
institution might have its own oracle to implement more local policies,
as could a research project, or even a single entity.

David