[WG-OTTO] Reminder: No meeting tomorrow

Mike Schwartz mike at gluu.org
Tue Nov 1 19:48:03 CDT 2016

OTTO WG,

Just a reminder that there is no OTTO meeting again this week. I'm
teaching a training class this week.

I ruffled some feathers on the refeds mailing list, which I think will
generate some interesting feedback. We have a meeting scheduled for next
Thu at 10 CT to get more feedback.

The concern on the refeds list is that our solution is too complex.
Personally I think they are distracted by the API endpoints (which will
be of interest primarily to implementers of the RA) and not appreciating
the browse/query capabilities, or the advantages of the linked data
design.

Also, I think part of the pushback is that we've done a better job
describing the API's then the data model.

- Mike

Here is a response from Scott Cantor for example:

Janusz:
>> In my opinion metadata should be very descriptive and very light  in
>> the
>> same time to consume and allow entities to learn how to discover and
>> retrieve information about other RAs, Feds and Entities and
>> relationships.

Scott:
That model is much more complex to implement and that's why it wasn't
chosen 15 years ago to begin with. You don't get flexibility for free,
and we already see essentially no uptake of any automated provisioning,
trust management, or revocation in the general software ecosystem. I
don't believe that making things more complex will improve that picture.