[WG-OTTO] OTTO WG Meeting Minutes 2/3/2016

Bush,Judith bushj at oclc.org
Tue Feb 9 18:38:17 CST 2016

I guess I need to know: what are we trusting? It seems different federations may offer a trust structure for different reasons.

It seems that it matters how federations interfederate. I’ve a doodled example where a small federation has the ability to represent the members of the federation to InCommon. That relationship (memberof) could be represented by a 0 in your network. Here, InCommon trusts that all the members onf the small federation are bound by the same agreement (legal structure). That same small federation might exchange metadata with a library resources federation, but not make any trust assertion. That could be represented by a 1 (the small fed trusts the library fed). While institution A may trust that the metadata they have is good for C, the distance of “3” indicates that A should form a bilateral legal agreement before exchanging any assertions about their users.

judith