[WG-OTTO] Building our own schema site w/schema.org code

Janusz Ulanowski janusz.ulanowski at heanet.ie
Wed Apr 13 14:59:30 CDT 2016

Hi,
sorry I'm not convinced;)

Personally I would go for OWL since it has richer vocabulary and is more
expressive:
"OWL = RDFS + more semantic features like cardinalities, union,
intersection and more reasoning and inferring possibilities.)"
"in owl you can add equivalent class:
https://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-guide-20040210/#equivalentClass1)
It would be much easier (in the future) to validate metadata against
otto schema.

It's just my point of view.

All the best,
Janusz

On 13/04/16 16:59, yuriy at gluu.org wrote:
> It would be nice if we can avoid manual conversion. I would prefer to
> automate it.
>
> Lets say we all agreed that it's ok for us to define schema in N3
> format. We may combine RDFLib and schemaorg projects:
> 1. Define in N3 (or whatever other format)
> 2. On git push automatically trigger re-publishing which would mean:
>     a) take N3 source
>     b) convert N3 to rdfa with RDFLib
>     c) publish with schemaorg
>
> https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib
>  From lib description: "The library contains parsers and serializers for
> RDF/XML, N3, NTriples, N-Quads, Turtle, TriX, RDFa and Microdata."
>
> https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg
>
> To make it possible we need some strong Python developer (between I'm
> Java dev).
>
> Thanks,
> Yuriy
>

> On 2016-04-13 18:49, Janusz Ulanowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think, we shouldn't be worried in what format we want to express our
>> schema. I tested Protege (tool for building worl-ontology) and I must
>> say it's pretty good. It allows you to do a lot of things plus check
>> for consistency. There is nice introduction on www.udemy.com - the
>> course is called "Practical Knowledge Modelling" - I really recommend
>> it.
>> Personally I'm strongly for building our own schema/ontology - In
>> thhis schema obviously we can reference to schema.org.
>>

>> On 13/04/16 14:30, yuriy at gluu.org wrote:
>>> Hi Judith,
>>>
>>> Actually both you and Jeff referenced to the same project. According to
>>> description of the project it consumes only rdfa-lite syntax which is
>>> actually kind of html.
>>>
>>> Here is core schema defined in rdfa :
>>> https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/blob/sdo-deimos/data/schema.rdfa
>>> Rdfa lite on w3: https://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-lite/
>>>
>>> We have to discuss whether rdfa lite is ok for us to write it by hand
>>> :).
>>>
>>> It's kind of static publishing while we are looking for generator that
>>> can generate the site (static html/js/css) from turtle/json-ld or
>>> similar syntax. So far I didn't find any.
>>>
>>> Actually I may write our own if Mike confirm it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Yuriy Z

Janusz Ulanowski
Edugate: http://www.edugate.ie
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Registered in Ireland, no 275301