[WG-OTTO] OTTO WG Minutes 10/21

Rainer Hoerbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Thu Oct 22 02:53:45 CDT 2015

In yesterday’s call we discussed the point to what extent assertions would be specific to OAUTH, SAML or PKIX. I said that it would be good to share more generalized assertions and extend that super-schema with more specific things. I would like to provide some examples:

#	Authoritative source	assertion
1	CA,  registrar	organization (org) A is owning domain X
2	Org A	org B n is providing services for org A
3	Org A	person owning key K1 is administrator for entities in A
4	FO in federation F	Org A is member in federation F in good standing’
5	WoT, out of band	FO in federation F has signing key K2
6	Org A's NREN	Org A is categorized as entity category R&S
7	IDP Y's operator	IDP Y has the public key K3
8	Assessor S	IDP Y has been certified to support LoA3
9	Kantara	Assessor S is accredited assessor
10	Kantara	Kantara is trust framework provider

I think that the entries in the public ledger should contain or reference generic notations of the claims or assertions. Linked data triples seem to be a suitable format, that could be used to generate technology-specific formats.

A domain-validated X.509 certificate with „domain X“ in the subject-DN’s CN could be issued to Org A based on assertion 1. That certificate could be issued to Org B based on assertions 1 and 2.

To create a SAML EntityDescriptor for IDP Y an entity in federation F would use assertions 1-10 plus the check that domain X is contained on IDP Y’s entityID and endpoints.

Assuming that we have a ledger with a collection of useful assertions, there are 2 main approaches to process them.

A. Local "database". Some (trusted) code would generate a local data store (a graph/triple-DB, SAML metadata aggregate, X.509 key store, XML-based trust list) based on this information. This would be either versatile (the graph version) or compatible with a specific purpose (SAML, X.509, ..). New entries in the ledger would update the local data store. For added security a backlink to the ledger could be used to protect against corruption.

B. Looking up assertions in the ledger on the fly. For that purpose the triples would have to be added in reverse order as well to support searches on the right part of the triplet.

Regarding confidentiality and payment I think that this should not be handled on the level of the public ledger, because having multiple ledgers would mean  that claims would have to go into multiple ledgers because of the unavoidable overlaps. In principle I do not see a problem in having references in the ledger and assertions behind a authentication scheme or paywall.

-Rainer