[WG-OTTO] 8/26 OTTO Meeting Agenda / Reminder

Mike Schwartz mike at gluu.org
Tue Aug 25 22:30:29 CDT 2015

This is probably too ambitious... but:

1) Approval of minutes / reminder about nominations.

2) Discussion of Section 2 and 3 of Nate's dogma. Breaking this down
into the following discussion points: (Note, we'll have to take the
other sections later, as I don't think we'll get through this in one
meeting). If you haven't read it, don't worry. We're going to discuss it
point by point anyway. But I am attaching the doc.

Points to discuss:
    - "Attribute requirements are notoriously difficult to express,
making out of band communication necessary anyway"
    - "Dynamic metadata has been difficult to get done, and that’s
because we’re trying to build DNSSEC + IPsec rather than TLS... Every
entity name must be a URL that is resolveable into a description of the
entity and how to talk with it."
    - "The content of metadata needs to be replaced or amended to be both
more informative(provisioning, attribute, and consent stuff) and less
informative(deprecate lightly used data fields). It also needs the right
primary index(probably domain, because that’s the more common bootstrap
for discovery) and secondary indices."
    - "Rather than trying to solve the distributed signature problem, I
want the replacement for metadata to include pointers to attesting
authorities. A provider could proceed to query a mutually trusted
authority to verify the good standing of a recipient. This also allows a
single entity to point to multiple authorities, something that is a
challenge with signatures over files. I also don't have to magically
know your trusted authorities: you tell me who they are. Mutual TLS
authentication to both the recipient and the authority gives
cryptographic security to this chain of relays. This is a
provider-centric alternative to the federation-centric being pursued
today."
   - "Distributed signature is one of the most challenging problems I
know of. Do you hand out keys with no control over file contents? Do you
sign files and give them to people, basically reproducing the CA model
at a second layer? I’m not convinced it even offers a superior solution.
Pointers and queries are vastly easier in practice. They don't fix the
problem, as the authority in the response still has to be
meaningful to the asker, but it does add the ability to build chains of
authority and removes the need for a single MDA to act as an oracle."
   - "Rekeying with your key scattered all over the place is brutally
painful. Federations are supposed to alleviate this, but wouldn't
distributed rekeying be alleviated by just querying the server and then
validating the credentials?"
   - "Being able to definitively say that an entity doesn’t exist is
effectively impossible, while reconciliation of different answers from
different authorities is effectively unspecified."
   - "Most large SP’s that are in heavy use by academia (Office 365,
Google Apps, and Box being the elephants in the room) do discovery by
domain, and so almost definitionally can’t use our metadata approach for
perhaps the most important function."
   - "Metadata gives no cues about why attributes are requested, why
they’re needed in terms both administrators and consent users could
interpret, what would happen if they are not received, what provisioning
requirements exist, and basically everything else I had to write into
the service-specific guidances for NET+."
   - "We have to agree on authorities that we trust out of band. There is
no way to discover from an entity which authorities vouch for it. This
constraint has led to everything getting herded into one gigantic
aggregation service where we there are trust and compatibility issues."
   - "I have to ensure that all my metadata everywhere is the same. This
means I either force all my partners through a single federation, or I
have to keep all representations of me consistent, or I risk incoherent
provider behavior. Allowing multiple directly expressed relationships
relieves these restraints somewhat, and it allows a provider to seek
simply a connection that meets attribute and trust requirements rather
than ensuring that all metadata everywhere is the same."
  - ""

3) If George is able to join us this may get moved to #2 because I don't
think its a long discussion. If not, we'll keep moving it to the next
meeting.
OpenID Connect Thread on "claims" in the Client Registration Spec:

http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20150810/005680.html

Meeting Details - NOTE: Don't use the G2M audio... see bridge details!

Screen Sharing: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/162399285

Audio: Skype: +99051000000481
North America Toll: +1 (805) 309-2350
Alternate Toll: +1 (714) 551-9842
International Toll: http://www.turbobridge.com/international.html

Conference ID: 613-2898

Command Menu: 0 Plays menu of Keypad Commands *3 Promote to Host (if
non-host) *5 Raise your hand *6 Mute yourself
(toggle on/off) *# Private roll call of participants *\ Mute
music-on-hold (toggle on/off)

TurboPhone (beta): https://www.turbobridge.com/join.html Works with
Internet Explorer on Windows only

SIP Access (using IP phone or soft phone) sip:bridge at turbobridge.com