[WG-InfoSharing] Reminder: CIS WG Consent Receipt Call

Andrew Hughes andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 13:52:17 UTC 2019

Yes - that is a good visualization :-)

And yes - to paraphrase: the 'death of informed choice by a thousand "I
agree" buttons' is a challenge for sure.

In my thinking, the automation of personal record collecting a.k.a.
'receipts' is one piece of the mosaic. It's mostly in the realm of
'recourse', of course - not preventative but corrective post-bad-event. But
at least it could support person-tools that allow the individual to be
passive until action is required.
In that way it can be useful for transparency - and I do envision a class
of 'small data' personal data analytics tools that could do local analysis
then signal out to a collective that could take the aggregated signals to
take class action or something. To inspire thinking about this I usually
say "Imagine if <insert evil data mining corp here> gives out different
personal data processing terms and notices to people based on their
(surveillance) profile? How would anyone be able to discover this?"

The few US-based regulators (primarily in the consumer protection domain)
that I've had the opportunity to discuss this receipt concept with are
quite excited. Not for the 'shall not' aspects but for the 'shall' side
incentives - something like: if companies offer receipts then maybe they
get a break from other rules.

So yah - notice and consent sucks due to factors related to shifting
towards a user-burden self-service mode of operation.

AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com