[WG-InfoSharing] Reminder: CIS WG Consent Receipt Call

Iain Henderson iainhenderson at mac.com
Thu May 30 13:24:38 UTC 2019

Apologies, I won’t make the call today.

But I did come across this cartoon which might amuse/ inform - it’s not every day you see a cartoon about consent….

https://marketoonist.com/2019/05/data-privacy-consent-fatigue-and-gdpr.html

The text under the cartoon is also informative; and represents the current status of sophisticated marketers - largely beyond GDPR, but worried about customer experience. The one specific quote below is also very informative and play into our thinking about v.2; i.e. more negative comment on the notice and consent model from informed observers.
As Laura Jehl a partner at law firm BakerHostetler put it <https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/04/gdpr-has-frustrated-users-and-regulators.html>,

“I’m kind of a conscientious objector to the notice and consent model. It’s offloading too much responsibility to the individual … If you have a job, or kids, or hobbies, or a life, you can’t do that, keeping track of all that.  It would be a full-time job to protect your privacy in a notice and consent model.”

Iain