[WG-InfoSharing] Preferences

Jim Pasquale jim at digi.me
Fri Jun 28 15:31:29 UTC 2019

James Et al: For me the term “preference receipt” is a non-starter.

On Jun 27, 2019, at 3:57 PM, James Aschberger <james at onethingless.com<mailto:james at onethingless.com>> wrote:

I consider preferences not to be strong enough. Stating a preference is – in my understanding – not binding for the party hearing the preference. I might state my preference to be upgraded to First Class to my airline of choice, but it does not mean anything to them.

Apple discontinued in Safari the "Do-Not-Track" signal option because it turned out to be useless as the signaled preference was not respected by most companies in the digital ecosystem (https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/06/apple-removes-safari-do-not-track-option/<https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/06/apple-removes-safari-do-not-track-option/>).

Another angle to look at this: if preferences were valuable to companies, why don't they provide their customers with clear and easy options to state their preferences regarding direct marketing, tracking, retargeting or sharing personal data with third parties? My working assumption: being able to claim not to know the preferences is a much better position for a company than learning that 90% of customers would prefer not to be tracked and having the choice of not tracking customers (= putting the company at a disadvantage in today's marketing/tech ecosystem), or continuing to track and essentially signaling customer that they disregard the preferences.

To be clear – I'm not opposed to Mark's suggestion of discussing the possibility of a "preference receipt", provided that we would still have a "consent receipt" in place.